Logo

Merc 62 L MPI FuelWater Separator

B

Benny and the Jets

"The manuals I received with m

"The manuals I received with my boat, a Regal Commodore 2665, don't show any details for this engine. Is the Separator on the forward portion of the starboard side of the engine?"

"Ayuh,.....

You're look

"Ayuh,.....

You're looking for a Canister type of Filter,.. Kinda like an Oil Filter,...
Only with Gas lines going to,+ coming from it....

I Suspect it's where you Ask about...."

"Bondo, I mention that area be

"Bondo, I mention that area because that is where the line from the gas tank leads to. There isn't a canister style filter there though. What is there, I can't figure out how to open. Are there separators that have to be disassembled to empty?"

"Benny;
I have a 6.2 MPI and

"Benny;
I have a 6.2 MPI and if definitely has a water separating fuel filter low in front on the sbd side. Its white and screws on like an oil filter.
It is disposable; you just throw it away.

Before disposing of a used fuel filter, I like to pour the contents into a clear container and see if there is any water. That give you a good idea of any water or crud in your fuel tank. If you find water in the filter, its a good idea to completely drain and flush the fuel tank.

BTW, you should have gotten a complete owners manual on the power package. I would make sure the seller gets that found for you.

Rod"

"Rod,tanks for responding. The

"Rod,tanks for responding. There's no one else in my marina that has a 6.2L so I have nothing to compare to. I did get a manual with my boat but its for every model in the Merc line. None of the illustrations look like what I have. Here is a picture of what the gas line goes into. It's definately not one of the white screw-on filters like the oil filter.
168945.jpg
Water/Fuel Separator??

"Benny, shut off fuel from ta

"Benny, shut off fuel from tank ,unplug fuelpump power(two wire connector) cycle ign key a couple times without starting engine to relive fuel pressure. "loosen" the three scrwes (do not remove just loosen until they seem free)at the top of filter cup. you may spill alittle fuel so have a rag under the filter to catch spillage.
lift out the cup and twist off to change the filter. clean cup and install new filter. reverse the proses and you are done. be sure to check for leaks after first start up.
hopethis helps some."

"BTW this is the gen III cool

"BTW this is the gen III cool fuel system. don't ask what happened to gen II, I ask at school and no one had an answer.

and Benny If you have no fuel shutoff is in site, find it. If you have to look on the tank pickup for it. fuel will syphon into the boat while the fuel system is open, if you are not careful. good luck"

"Thats the Gen III Cool-fuel m

"Thats the Gen III Cool-fuel module. You want to get replacement filter kit 866171A01. The filter will come with instructions very similar to what Allan posted. You will also need filter 35-892665, which you will see in the module body when you pull out the filter cartridge. You will need a 10mm wrench to remove the filter cap.

First tip is don't try to remove the bolts if they are bind on the way out. They will break off in the module body. Back them out a little and spray some penetrant into the bolt hole, and work them out easy. Don't rush it.

Second tip is use the new filter cap o-ring that comes with the filter, no matter how good the old one looks. They swell up over time and won't go back together correctly once removed.

Third tip is put some thread sealant on the bolt threads before you reinstall the filter cap. It does not say to do this in the instructions that come with the filter, but they use it on the original assembly and it will help keep the bolts from freezing up and breaking off when you remove the cap next time."

Gentlemen... thank you one and

Gentlemen... thank you one and all.

"allan in st pete... Here is a

"allan in st pete... Here is a picture of the gas tank. Is the connection I have circled the fuel pump power you referred to? Also, I can find no shut off valve. What do you do in that case?
169006.jpg
Gas Tank

"Benny, you can just remove t

"Benny, you can just remove the hose from the tank, although it looks like your tank is low in the boat and if the antisiphone valve is working, you may not have any problem with the fuel.
crack open the cool fuel(after reliving pressure) with a catch pan or large towel under the modual and see if it leaks into the boat.
good luck"

benny the fuel pump power con

benny the fuel pump power connector is a black two wire connector with the wires coming from the cool-fuel modual.
the connection you have circled is the wires for the fuel guage at the helm.pink and black

Back