Logo

Engine shuts down to idle

boatmon

"hi,
I have a 1884 260 merc c

"hi,
I have a 1884 260 merc cruiser with thunderbolt ignition.After a period of time of running ( could be 1-3 hrs) the engine just starts to cough sputter and then shuts down to idle. I can run the engine at idle but when I push the throttle up it coughs and does not respond. There are times i have run the boat all day and it runs fine. I put new fuel in it changed water sep filter all to avail. Also my voltage gauge pegs out at 16v on start up, but after a short time it goes back to normal. do you have any advice?
thanks,
boatmon"

1884! You must be using synthe

1884! You must be using synthetic oil!

Sounds like an ignition problem... anything getting wet?

"Hey Boatmon,
Sounds like yo

"Hey Boatmon,
Sounds like you may have a coil problem. What may happen is that the heat from the engine will break down the coil. If it gets too hot and the coil is too old sometimes they will crap out. Does it start back up after the engine cools? That may also be the cause of your peaking voltage at start up. Also try pulling the distrubitor and check your rotor and cap for corroision. Let me know how you make out. Jon"

"Sounds to Me like a Fuel Rest

"Sounds to Me like a Fuel Restriction Issue.......

Somewhere between the Tank Vent,+ the Carb.,......

Something is Partialy Plugged......."

"Fred
You have a fuel problem

"Fred
You have a fuel problem, easy thing to do is swap out the fuel pump. This pumps can be bad and still run. Check the vent line where it leaves the boat they often have a stainless steel piece of screen in there and spiders like to clog them with webbing.Disconnect the vent line at the tank and blow through it , it should be free of any back pressure. In the old days I have seen carbs that get to hot and boil the gas out after long runs, but didn't see stuff like that in the 1980's. W"

"Thanks for your suggestions.

"Thanks for your suggestions. I will investigate all of them. sssssssssinnce I live in Maine, the lakes are still frozen. I am about to take the boat out of storage and get it ready for the season. I'll keep you all advised of what happens.
Thanks,
boatmon"

""sssssssssinnce I live in

""sssssssssinnce I live in Maine, the lakes are still frozen."

Where abouts,.??....

I'm Born,+ raised in Old Town,..... I still have a place at Chemo Pond......."

Back