Logo

1966 Johnson 33hp

aquatech

"I just bought a 66 Johnson 33

"I just bought a 66 Johnson 33hp that is in rough shape. It turns over and seem intact except for a missing fuel line. There is no outward damage and the prop is in excellent shape. The shift is a little tight, but goes reverse, neutral, forward with a little effort.

Questions - is this a good motor for repair/restoration? It would go on my 15ft fiberglass boat (currently being restored too). Are parts readily available? How big of a job would it be? - I have good mechanical knowledge, but none with outboards. I am looking for some opinion before I buy repair manuals and parts.

Also - what can I spray into the cylinders to keep them lubricated? The compression seems good. Thanks!"

"The engine is a good design,

"The engine is a good design, however the choice to restore would need to be your judgement call. Parts are available."

"DONT let the nice prop,fool u

"DONT let the nice prop,fool u into sev hundred dlrs.....I too love those old daaawgs,..but,..in reality,if u want a reliable eng,for less than 1000.00,..YOU can get an 80's model,which have unbelievable differences,to the eng u r ref to..80's or later,..then,u have something worth spending money on....."

Back