Logo

305 v8 motor skips

jeremy27

Regular Contributor
"I have a merc. 5.0 v8,It has

"I have a merc. 5.0 v8,It has been running fine up until today,It started to skip now it will not go over 35mph or 3k rpms,my book says that my rpm should be no more than 42k-45k at full throttle.Most of the time I don't go over 4k rpms or 45mph.Thats what it has been running at but now it is skiping and almost like it is getting to much gas,I took the filter off and look down into the carbs and it don't look like it is getting to much gas.I don't see any gas just sitting on the top of the carbs,Can anyone tell me what I can look for to maybe find out what the problem is.Thank you"

"[...I took the filter off and

"[...I took the filter off and look down into the carbs and it don't look like it is getting to much gas.I don't see any gas just sitting on the top of the carbs,...]

Not sure I want to understand this statement????

Okay, how long has it been since the engine has had a good tuneup? Skipping and refusing to attain full rpm can often be attributed to fouled plugs, dirty or cracked distributor cap, bad wires, plugged fuel filter, sticking choke, etc. or even some water in fuel..

Perhaps a few more details on type of ignition system, how fast this problem came to exist, etc, would help put this problem into perspective."

"(I was talking about the

"(I was talking about the air filter,it was skipping once before and it was because it was dropping to much fuel into the carb even while it was sitting still,I had to adjust the idle screw it was turned to far in.)about the tune up I don't know I just got the boat not long ago,I have already changed the outdrive fluid and was going to cahange the spark plugs and oil,and my father-in-law said to put some of that fuel stuff in cases it has water in the gas tank.I don't think it is the choke,I can push the button in for coke and it seems to do fine but when I put it in gear is when it seems to run bad,but I don't know that mite just be because I don't fill it,and it was running fine after I turned that screw out about 2weeks ago,then I went to the lake wed and it started to skip but I thought i was out of gas my gas gauge said I was close to (E).put gas in it and went to lake today and it started to skip alittle but was still at good rpm,then it started to drop rpm's and mph was dropping so put it back on trailer and went home.now I'm tring to find out what the problem is.I know alittle about cars but people keep telling me that just because it looks like a car motor doesn't mean it is.thanks"

"I'm changing the plugs an

"I'm changing the plugs and wires,and I'm going to change the oil and filter sometime this week I hope thats it.but we will see.My brother is telling me that it is the plugs,but he is family,and sometimes you need someone who's not before you listen.After I change all that I will post if it worked or not.thanks for all the info"

Inspect the dist. cap and roto

Inspect the dist. cap and rotor for corrosion; replace if suspect. Use a good set of marine plug wires.

"[b]"I'm changing the

""I'm changing the plugs and wires,and I'm going to change the oil and filter sometime this week <u> I hope thats it</u>."

Ayuh,.....

You Need to do a Full,+ Complete Tune-Up,+ Service........

My 1st Guess is,.....
Your Fuel Filters are Full of Crap....."

Back