Logo

1996 8hp Evinrude throttle issue

waynekp

"Hi,

I have a 1996 8hp Evin

"Hi,

I have a 1996 8hp Evinrude that I use as a kicker motor for trolling. It runs good except that there seems to be a dead spot in the throttle. I can troll at 2.5 MPH or 3.5 MPH but not in between. The RPM's will either increase or decrease significantly with a slight throttle change in this speed range. I can gradually increase speed up to 2.5 MPH and gradually increase speed past 3.5 MPH. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to fix this?

Thanks"

"Wayne.... I retired a few yea

"Wayne.... I retired a few years before that model was manufactured, however on eariler models that problem is due to having the throttle butterfly open a little too soon or a little too late.

Look at the lever or roller that causes the throttle butterfly to open. Usually it is a cam attached to the timer base under the flywheel. If so, that cam will have a scribe mark on it.

The throttle butterfly should open just when that scribe mark is aligned with the center of the throttle roller or lever, whichever may be the case.

If I am in error, due to the fact that I am not familiar with that model, I'm sure another tech will be along shortly with a welcome correction.

When time permits, visit my eBay store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"Hi Joe,

Thanks for the rep

"Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reponse. I have looked at the cam / cam follower and based on what you said my motor needs a major adjustment. I have a Clymer manual and it indicates that for the 6 & 8hp models not to key off from any mark on the cam (the manual does use a cam mark on the 9.9 & 15hp models). It indicates that it is only necessary that the twist grip throttle and the throttle cam are held in a specified position when adjusting the throttle cam follower. The problem is that the specified position is at the full idle stop and my motor seems to be missing some pieces for this (I bought it used). I am assuming that when the motor is not in gear the full idle stop is a lever that the armature plate hits against so the motor doesn't rev to high. This isn't present on my motor. Do you know if there should be a idle stop and if so is that a part that can be ordered?"

That engine does not have an i

That engine does not have an idle stop like the old 9.9/15. What might be a problem in Your case is the propeller You are using. Most people does not take that into consideration when it comes to small trolling engines like this one. If You have the std prop and running on a 1500Lbs/19 ft boat You are far off in the prop range.
I would guess a 9 1/4 x 6 1/2 (0392183) which is used as std on the sail versions would be a more proper choice.

Back