Logo

Kanzaki KM4A timing marks

arnon

"My auxilliary engine consists

"My auxilliary engine consists of a Yanmar 4JH3-TE engine with a Kanzaki KM4A transmission.

I am trying to decipher the timing marks on the transmission flywheel. There are two inpsection ports on either side of the transmission.

As seen from the starboard side inspection ports, the following marks appear on the flywheel when the crankshaft is rotated:

2 holes drilled into the flywheel, then
The notation "B640", then
1 small indentation in the flywheel. then
A red circle with some symbols including and arrow with a + sign, then
repeating with the two holes

I'm used to seeing the notation "TDC" for Top Dead Center followed by a cylinder number and a hash mark on the flywheel.

Any ideas how to interpret what I am seeing on the flywheel inspection port?"

"I asked the same question to

"I asked the same question to the folks and Mack Boring, and thanks to them I will answer my on question.

I was mistakenly looking for the timing marks on the flat back of the flywheel looking through the two inpection openings in the front part of the Kazaki transmission that bolts to the Yanmar Flywheel Housing (Part N0. 129673-01600) for a Yanmar 4JH3-TE engine.

The timing marks are located on the narrow rim of the Yanmar Flywheel (Part No. 129574-21590) for a 4JH3-TE.

The timing marks may be viewed through a small inspection portal on the left side of the flywheel housing (on the starboard side of the engine compartment) just below an engine mount. The portal is a round hole with an alignment line through the middle of the hole pointing forward from the edge of the hole. Because of the hole's location, I could only view the timing marks through the portal with a small mirror on angle facing the portal and a flashlight shining down on the mirror.

There are two timing marks on the rim of the flywheel. One looks like this 1 l 4 and the other 2 l 3. When you rotate the crank shaft (long ratchet drive on the bolt nut in the middle of the Damper (Part No. 129693-28010), watch through the portal for the two marks. Best done with two people, one cranking the other viewing. When the line between the two numbers lines up with the alignment line on the side of the portal, you have reached Top Dead Center for those two cylinders (Number 1 cylinder is closest to the flywheel, 2 is next forward and so on). At TDC adjust the valve lash to 0.2 mm on both rocker arms for both cylinders seen on the timing mark. Then rotate the crankshft again until the timing marks for the other two cylinders appear in the portal.

I found the valve lash on my engine seriously out of adjustment. By correcting the valve lash to the correct amount, my engine is running much smoother."

"I was about to purchase a 42,

"I was about to purchase a 42, hull 357, last week when I discovered the transmission was full of water and emitting a creamy beige substance thru the air hole in the dipstick. Does anyone know whether the oil cooler for the tranmission is cooled by seawater or anti-freeze and what the resulting damages could be if seawater enters the tranny?"

Back