PDA

View Full Version : 69 OMC Wont pump water

omc_man101
03-17-2006, 09:20 AM
"I have a 69 Evenrude with a OMC outdrive and a chevy 4 clyinder engine. Bought at the end of the season last year but wont pump water. I changed the pump impeller in the out drive last year but still no differance.. I am not getting water out the hole in the back of the outdrive it just puffs hot air. But if I hook up a garden hose and force feed it with water everything is fine. I am wondering if there could be a seal somewhere that is bad and not letting it gain enough suction to pull the water up the outdrive..? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Roger"

fastjeff
03-17-2006, 07:30 PM
Is the lower unit in a barrel?

Jeff

omc_man101
03-19-2006, 12:42 PM
"Yes, when its in a barrel or the lake it wont pump water but if I put the "ear muffs" on it and force feed the cooling system with a garden hose then its ok....

Roger"

omc_man101
03-20-2006, 11:26 PM
"Is there a seal or o-ring that would cause it to suck air? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Roger"

Con Hoffman
03-26-2006, 09:56 PM
"I have a 76 OMC with 302 v8, same problem.
I have the outdrive apart, pump looks good.
I will replace it since I have it apart.
The manual stresses the importence of seals
in the swivel housing, also around the metal water pickup tube. The rubber seals feel pretty loose around the tube. I ordered an upper and lower housing seal kit from Go2Marine.com I hope this does the trick.
Good luck."

omc_man101
03-27-2006, 12:04 PM
"Thanks Con I will give it a good look. Its still a little cold here to be working on the boat.

Thanks again,

Roger"

fastjeff
03-28-2006, 06:26 AM
"I had a Merc outboard that did that. Seal just above the impeller was bad, allowing it to suck in air instead of water.

Jeff"