Logo

69 OMC Wont pump water

omc_man101

"I have a 69 Evenrude with a O

"I have a 69 Evenrude with a OMC outdrive and a chevy 4 clyinder engine. Bought at the end of the season last year but wont pump water. I changed the pump impeller in the out drive last year but still no differance.. I am not getting water out the hole in the back of the outdrive it just puffs hot air. But if I hook up a garden hose and force feed it with water everything is fine. I am wondering if there could be a seal somewhere that is bad and not letting it gain enough suction to pull the water up the outdrive..? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Roger"

"Yes, when its in a barrel or

"Yes, when its in a barrel or the lake it wont pump water but if I put the "ear muffs" on it and force feed the cooling system with a garden hose then its ok....

Roger"

"Is there a seal or o-ring tha

"Is there a seal or o-ring that would cause it to suck air? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Roger"

"I have a 76 OMC with 302 v8,

"I have a 76 OMC with 302 v8, same problem.
I have the outdrive apart, pump looks good.
I will replace it since I have it apart.
The manual stresses the importence of seals
in the swivel housing, also around the metal water pickup tube. The rubber seals feel pretty loose around the tube. I ordered an upper and lower housing seal kit from Go2Marine.com I hope this does the trick.
Good luck."

"Thanks Con I will give it a g

"Thanks Con I will give it a good look. Its still a little cold here to be working on the boat.

Thanks again,

Roger"

"I had a Merc outboard that di

"I had a Merc outboard that did that. Seal just above the impeller was bad, allowing it to suck in air instead of water.

Jeff"

Back