Logo

Spark interrupt switch

ringmaster72

"I bought a boat with a 1990 4

"I bought a boat with a 1990 4.3 V6 Alpha setup and swapped in a 5.7, with an older automotive style distibutor. The problem is I am not sure how to hook up the spark interrup switch to the distributor I have. It has a + and - wire and that is it. The V6 distributor had two posts on the outside that went to the switch. So, how can I hook up the switch to this more basic distributor?
Thanks
Tim"

"my thread is one above you, &

"my thread is one above you, "Intermittent spark to coil" you may get a chuckle too, but Ed @ sterndrives.com will know what to do.

Hope this helps,
Deb"

"[b]"with an older automot

""with an older automotive style distibutor. "

Ayuh,......

You're Building a Bomb........

Automotive Distributers,... Along with Most All of the Electrical Parts can Not be used in a Boat.....
Same goes for the Fuel System,......

Please find yourself a Marine set up for your motor,........"

Marine dist have the spark tha

Marine dist have the spark thats created when the rotor connects with the pin inside the dist cap supressed.If there are explosive vapors(gas fumes)
in the area of a non-supressed ingition source you go BOOM.Same with alternatore and starters.They are all supressed.

"Alright, well it came with a

"Alright, well it came with a motor from a boat so it probably is a marine distibutor. I just said it was auto style because it just has a + and - wires coming out of it. How can I hook the switch up to this distrinutor?"

"The black wire on the switch

"The black wire on the switch should be grounded already. The other wire(s) white/green and gray go to the negative side of the coil IN MOST CASES. BUT, SINCE YOU HAVE MODIFIED THE EXISTING ENGINE, I AM NOT 100% SURE--PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK! I AM NOT A CERTIFIED BOAT TECHNICIAN!"

"Hmmmmmm,........

Watch you

"Hmmmmmm,........

Watch your back there Guy,.....

The Office of Homeland Security might be hunting you down for Helping a Bomb Maker......
uhoh.gif
"

"What is ur problem Bondo?

"What is ur problem Bondo?

Ayuh....... I already said that it came with the motor that was in a boat. I said it was auto style because it just had the normal 2 wires coming out of it. If it was a bomb, I expect it would have exploded in the other boat. Or maybe his was a bombproof boat. If u r not going to help then stay out of the thread jackass."

I get your humor bondo. Don&#3

I get your humor bondo. Don't you get a kick out of these guys who ask questions and then all of a sudden they are the experts. Why did tim ask for help in the first place! It reminds me of arguing with my kids. I appreciate your help and humor.

"What does it have to do with

"What does it have to do with his corny humor. I asked a question and was hoping for an answer, but all I am getting is smart comments. How do I know it all? I just stated that the dist. came with the motor I got from the other boat, how is that having all of the answers?"

""...and swapped in a 5.7,

""...and swapped in a 5.7, with an older automotive style distibutor...how to hook up the spark interrup switch to the distributor "

Was it a COMPLETE marine engine swap? Yes? Then there should have been a switch already connected. Tim: can you provide more concise info."

"Guy, I bought the motor in pi

"Guy, I bought the motor in pieces from a guy that bought a complete engine/sterndrive package for his boat. So, I just got the motor in a pile of pieces and the distributor came with it. However, there were no switches with the exhaust manifolds, so I am using the ones from my V6."

""I bought the motor in pi

""I bought the motor in pieces..."

Where's Bill Engvall when you need him?

Seriously, you are way out on a limb. I strongly suggest you buy the manual(s) for your engine(s) and use the provided wiring diagram(s)."

"I am already using the boat &

"I am already using the boat (it runs great) and have a manual but it is not going to help me wire a distributor that did not come with the boat. I was hoping I could hook it up using the switch instead of shutting the motor off to witch gears. If nobody knows how it can be done, I will just hook a toggle switch up to the coil hotwire and kill it manually when I need to switch gears."

"tim, wire one side of the in

"tim, wire one side of the interupt switch to ground and the other side to the Neg. side of your coil..
not knowing what ign. system you have, this "trick" may burn up(short) out you ign. module. or ir may not
if you can post a picture of your dist. and whatever module is with it and I'll see if I know what it is you are working with.

goos luck"

Allan.....it is actually a poi

Allan.....it is actually a points style distributor that was converted to an electronic ignition using the Pertronix kit.

"I,ve seen alot of 3.0L with p

"I,ve seen alot of 3.0L with points converted with that setup. worked fine. time as you would points and hook up the shift switch to the coil as I described in my other post. that is how merc. did it with a points set. Are you using a Prestolite or Mallory dist? I know you can get a mallory MARINE dist cap from NAPA."

Back