Logo

Spinning Starter

bcvlj

"I am new here and have a prob

"I am new here and have a problem. I have a 1986 SeaRay with a Mercruiser Alpha 1 260. I was out on the water with my daughter and couldn't get my boat started. Needless to say I drained the batteries completely and had to get a tow. The batteries were 2 years old or so. I replaced them with new batteries, but as soon as I connected the positive terminal the starter started to spin. The key wasn't even in the switch. I checked all the wiring and tried to reset the circuit breaker but it still just spins. Any ideas? Do I need a new starter?
Bob"

"Bob,
When you say the star

"Bob,
When you say the starter started to spin...I assume you heard it making noise and the engine was NOT trying to start.If that is the case I would get a new starter, but only after checking the back of your key switch to see that all is well there.If connections or voltage is connected there for some reason,then the engine would try starting.Would check wiring at front of selenoid also.Thats where I would be looking first..Todd"

I checked the key switch and i

I checked the key switch and it is fine. I will check the selenoid wiring next. The starter just sounds like a spinning motor and won't stop. Any idea why that would have happened? Any idea what part number I need? I appreciate the help.

I figured it all out. I took t

I figured it all out. I took the Starter/selenoid off and tested it. The selenoid was fried/stuck. So I got a new one and put it all back on. Now everything is back to normal. Thanks for the recommendations.

Back