Logo

Tranny fluid on a Detroit 671

vin3d

This is going to sound like a

This is going to sound like a real dumb question but where do I put transmission fluid in a Detroit 6-71? I was shown the dip-stick to check the fluid level but not where to add the fluid if needed. Any help would be great.

"Sorry, maybe I should have be

"Sorry, maybe I should have been more exact. I am a mate on a crew boat that has two Detroit 671's. The owner of the boat gave me a very short tour of the engine room, and now he has become quite scarce. Each morning before starting the engines I have been checking the oil and also checking the fluid level on the transmissions. It occured to me that the owner never showed me where the transmission fluid could be added if need be. So far neither have needed any transmission fluid, just an occasional top up on the motor oil, but I would like to know where to put the fluid when the time comes.
Thanks in advance."

"Thank's for the advice. I

"Thank's for the advice. I did that yesterday and it seemed to work just fine. Today a marine mechanic came by and showed me a strange looking metal top that unscrews and it's where he says the tranny fluid goes. He also said that these transmissions use regular motor oil, not transmission fluid."

"Vinny: If you used automotive

"Vinny: If you used automotive transmission fluid for the DD gear, tell the owner and don't operate the boat until you drain the gear oil and replace it with the same oil as the engine oil, which is normally staight 40 wt. oil. I'm assuming your gear is a DD gear.

Olymbitis"

Olimbitis I have the same engine DD 6-71 inline. And i want to know how to change the transmation oil and what is the best translation I can put in. This is my email ( [email protected]). Thank you !!

I have a Detroit 671 marine engine with a Allison transmission. Every time I run it I lose fluid in the transmission. I mechanic told me to use street 40 wait oil in the transmission just like the engine. It’s a 1953 engine. Could that be the reason I’m losing fluid is that I haven’t been using straight 40 wait oil but regular hydraulic fluid

Back