Logo

Oil in Bilge

kunapets

"1992 5.0 Mercruiser. I have o

"1992 5.0 Mercruiser. I have oil in the bilge and it seems to happen when the boat sits - not while running. Never had the oil plug out (used dip stick suction to change oil). Can't see underneath to check the pan. My engine is a GM (Buick or Olds??) What is the correct oil filter, I may have put the wrong one in at some time.

Anyone else see this problem??

Thanks Kne S"

"Hi K!!

Haven't been he

"Hi K!!

Haven't been here very long myself, but I'll still say WELCOME!

5.0 is a Chev 305 V8. An excellent workhorse, with quite a lot of power if not installed in too heavy a boat.

Filter #s;
Purolator--L20049
Wix--51069
Sierra--18-7824

How much oil? Almost has to leak when running. Only thing that comes to mind leaking only after shut off would be if rear main leak is being held away form drain hole in bellhousing by air turbulence created by spinning flywheel(pretty far fetched). Try looking with a mirror and flashlight.

Bob"

""Oil's cheap." W

""Oil's cheap." Well, it used to be, but if your motor leaks only a quart or two a season (and that much oil makes a HUGE puddle), then it only costs you a few bucks, right? To reduce the mess you can buy oil absorbing pads that lay in the bilge.

Obviously, you want to keep an eye on the oil level, but I wouldn't worry about small leaks. Hell, if it's the rear main seal (as I suspect) you can't do a thing about it.

Jeff"

"Check for oil staining around

"Check for oil staining around the valve cover gaskets they have to be replaced now and then. Also look at the oil sending unit they go bad and leak through the end. All bliges have a amount of oil in them. Throw a oil sock in it so you don't pump it over board. Pan gaskets also go bad, normally a real pain to change. Rear Main is a possibilty as well it then leaks into bell housing and slowly leaks out. If you can't find any oil staining anywhere its a rear main seal put a diaper down and just run it, unless we are talking 2 qts everytime you run it."

Back