Logo

Honda 15 HP 4 stroke High speed problems

P

Paul Pruser

"I have a 1997 15 HP Honda 4 S

"I have a 1997 15 HP Honda 4 Stroke. I just took apart the carb, cleaned it, replaced fuel filter, replaced fuel lines, new gaskets, new tank, fresh fuel, new plugs. The motor starts like brand new, and idles perfectly. Works well at low speed in reverse and forward, and in neutral it works well from the 'slow' to 'start' range. As soon as I begin to increase the speed beyond the 'start' position, it immediately bogs for a second, and it does not run well at high speed. It does not shut down at high speed, but it feels off, and it does not have the power and speed that it had when it was working well about a year ago. The carb sat with old fuel in it for a while, and I had some bad fuel the last time I had it working well. What else could be wrong? Should I take the carb apart again and pay closer attention to any specific area? What am I missing?"

"Paul,

You may have missed

"Paul,

You may have missed something in the carb, possibly the high speed orifice. You have to remove it and make sure it is totally clean.

I don't have a parts book, but if I recall correctly, these carbs have an accelerator pump on the side. If it is not adjusted properly the engine will have a hard time picking up speed.

Also, if the idle jet is not adjusted it could cause the engine to flood and bog down when asked for more rpms.

Tony"

Back