Logo

Mercruiser 57L leaking carb stalling below 1500 RPM

wellcraftnova230

Contributing Member
"My merc 350 was taken out of

"My merc 350 was taken out of storage today, and of course I did not start it on muffs before I took it out because I was too ancy to run it. It started up and ran well at 1000 RPM so I idled it down and started to motor out until it crapped out. It would not start back up again until I started it like a flooded motor with the throttle wide open in idle and then pulling it back as soon as it started. I ran it for a while around 1500 RPM up the river and back down then I tried to idle it again and it crapped out again. Again, very difficult to start and there was alot of gas in the water behind the boat as well as alot of smoke and black soot. I took off the flame arrestor and ran the motor, the choke was wide open and operating as it should (Rochester 4bbl). There was gas dripping onto the intake manifold from the bottom of the carb. What could be the problem? It is deffinately something to do with the carb because it starts up and it runs smooth at high speed, but what could be wrong with the carb? Any suggestions? Thanks Jon"

"Carb is flooding. Rebuild ti

"Carb is flooding. Rebuild time.

Jeff

PS: Bet you'll start it on the muffs next time, eh? Putting out to sea in a boat that's been in storage, hasn't been re-commissioned, and may not run right is just plain nuts!"

"This is the best time of year

"This is the best time of year to go to the boat ramp with a lawn chair, a cooler full of beer, and a video camera... and just sit and watch!"

Too true! I especially love t

Too true! I especially love to watch the guys who forget to put their drain plugs in.

Jeff

"Jon,......

Your Carb eithe

"Jon,......

Your Carb either Needs Rebuilding,....... Or Replacement.........

If nothing else,..... The Needle Valve is Stuck Open........."

Ah huh! It was jeff and Troy w

Ah huh! It was jeff and Troy watching my bilge pump work overtime while I was trying to figure why I couldnt plane!!!!! Can I get a copy of the tape?

Scott

Back