Logo

23 with water in the oil

beachcraftman

"I have been getting about a q

"I have been getting about a quart of water in with the oil running it on the hose. I just pulled the head off to see if there was a leak at the intake manifold gasket or the head gasket. Neither looks like the problem. If the previous owner did not winterize would it crack the block or head before it moved a soft plug/ freeze plug. If something did end up cracking, would it be the head or block? Does anyone know of any common problems with these engines? I have not even got the thing in the water yet and it's killing me.
Thanks,
Casey"

"Sorry, Casey...but...any time

"Sorry, Casey...but...any time any inboard engine is run with water through it, even for a moment, or even dipped into a lake WITHOUT even starting it...the block and the manifold(s) must be drained. These are not like car engines, that have ANTIFREEZE in them, nor are they like outboards that self drain if you stand them upright. They must be drained any time the temperature drops below freezing. Frost plugs will not save a block (in my experience up here in Canada) if the temp goes -20C for a while, and they will absolutely not save the intake or exhaust manifolds at even a few degrees below freezing. I make LOTS of money from do-it yourselfers and "helpful" friends and relatives, but I must admit, I don't get nearly as much job satisfaction from making my money like that...

Winterizing an inboard or I/O isn't just a "nice" thing to do to your motor on occasion when you have the time/money...it's required!

This one sounds like it either wasn't winterized, or was put into the water after being winterized. Hopefully the person you purchased it from will admit fault, but I doubt it. These motors are not the average everyday 2.3's found in your Pinto or Mustang...they are special blocks similar to those used in the late 80's early 90's Thunderbird Turbo Coupes. Much stronger main bearings and piston rods. Not easy to find used. The block itself may be OK, but almost definitely the intake/exhaust manifolds, or head, or both are cracked. You might luck out and have a bad intake, as the intakes on the 2.3's are combined with the exhaust, and have coolant flowing through them as well. Simplest thing would be this being the issue, but the only way to know is to take it to a reputable marina (ask local cottagers and trailer parks etc. They know!) and get it torn down.

Sorry your first boating experience is souring so quickly, but a suprising number of first time I/O owners have gone through this same thing. Usually only once. A boat is defined as a big hole in the water that you throw money into. Next year, there's always that uncharted rock wanting to take your gearcase off and stomp all over it. Cheers!"

Back