Logo

Tight engine

deepbaytender

i PICKED UP A OLDER BOAT THIS

i PICKED UP A OLDER BOAT THIS NOVEMBER .THEY COULD NOT FIND THE kEY BUT THE ENGINE TURNED OVER USING A REMOTE .BUT VERY SLOWLY .I TOOK THIS TO BE A LOW BATERY .NOW IT WILL NOT TURN OVER AT ALL THERE .IS SOME MOVEMENT WHEN I HIT THE STARTER BUT SEEMS TO HAVE MAYBE CEASED IT IS 1984 318 UNKNOWN MODEL AT THIS TIME .IT HAS A bw DRIVE 1-1 .CAN YOU RUN A ENGINE AFTER IT HAS BEEN FREED OR IS IT DUE FOR A RE BUILD. i GUESS THE QUESTION IS WHY HAS IT DONE THIS? CHRIS

"Can you move the flywheel wit

"Can you move the flywheel with a socket on the nut that holds the harmonic balancer? If so, the starter might be frozen. Remove the starter and test it off the engine. It seems unlikely to have siezed while not running in such a short time."

i TRIED JUST THAT AND NO GO .B

i TRIED JUST THAT AND NO GO .BUT I THINK I KNOW WHY IT CEASED .IT DOES NOT HAVE ANY RISERS ON THE MANIFOLDS AND A WET EXAUST .THE PREIVIOUS OWNER TOLD ME IT WAS HARD STARTING AND RAN ROUGH UNTIL IT WARMED UP .BUT WAS FINE AFTER THAT. WITH OUT THE RISERS WOULD IT NOT SUCK WATER FROM THE WET EXAHST INTO THE ENGINE WHEN SHUTING DOWN? CHRIS

"Chris
I picked up a 30 ft b

"Chris
I picked up a 30 ft boat with a 454 GM which had not run for 8 yrs I pulled all the spark plugs, put a little oil in each clyinder and started trying to turn it over. At first it didn't want to turn at all. slowly to began to turn and then turn over right at proper speed for an engine with no plugs. Put plugs back in new cap rotor wires. Been running it two years now. But it wasn't sick when it went into its lay up. You could have a bad lower end. Try this first before tearing it apart."

Back