Logo

37L Love em or hate em

vwfixer25

"Hey guys, first time boat buy

"Hey guys, first time boat buyer here and am looking for any info on the 3.7l engine. I am an auto tech but am unfamiliar with it. Is it something to avoid or ok as long as you keep it properly maintained. Are parts expensive and does it have any weak components. I would imagine it is resonable on fuel. Am i correct? Well thanks for any info you can provide for me. The 3.7l looks like a unique breed and i wonder if i should stay away from it.What's your views on the closed cooling system?"

good engine light weight lots

good engine light weight lots of power
this engine was originally designed by conntinental. mercruiser has then developed a marine package for this motor and called it theirs aluminum block wuith 460 ford head ac delco ignition w/ rochester or mercarb from lifters up 460 ford oilfilter and ignition GM
THERE ARE TWO WEAK LINKS . charging system the flywheel magnets like to come apart and the stator likes to burn out and is an expensive fix. there is a great alternative with an alternator kit. closed cooling works great if claen and properly maintained

alt. kits can run you about 35

alt. kits can run you about 350$ for the conversion kit if you have the altenator as part of the harmonic balancer

"" The 3.7l looks like a u

"" The 3.7l looks like a unique breed and i wonder if i should stay away from it."

Ayuh,.....
Yup,.....
Yes,.....
RUN,.....
That motor was Supposed to be the Best Thing since Sliced Bread,..........
But,..... It Isn't,+ has been Out of Production for Many, Many Years........

Find a boat powered with a Chevy based motor,+ You'll be Much Happier,....
For Much Longer.........."

"Ken,
See my reply under the

"Ken,
See my reply under the "oil coming out of dipstick" posting. My 3.7 only had a problem w/points rusting from condensation. Kept an emery board in the tool kit. YES! They are expensive to fix! They are MARINE! Good power for size and I never had electrical troubles. I actually liked the closed cooling system. Oh, then the rear piston cracked at the oil control ring. I sold it to my buddy and he fixed it and got 3 more years outta it until he sold it for a pontoon. Oh, I did go thru starters every 3-4 years........
They all cost MONEY. It is fun to boat though so we pay it.

Scott"

"Have twin 470's in a &#39

"Have twin 470's in a '77 Searay. Boat's been in family since new. Motors are great. Yes alternators are problem. Easily remedied by a kit to mount a Delco-Remy. I also understand there is a high torque starter available for around $135.
Try Breezeworks. They have 470 stuff, new,refurbed,and used.
Zip"

"I've blown 2 3.7 engines.

"I've blown 2 3.7 engines. When I say blown - broke connecting rod and punched a hole in the block. Never found a for sure reason why it happened. Easy motor to work on though. Oil pressure was good, motor was cool and had power. Just blew at 3,800 RPM. Never found a reason. Won't buy a boat with one again."

"I have a 19ft. Monterrey boat

"I have a 19ft. Monterrey boat with a 3.7liter, 165hp 4 cyl. When I start it cold there is a knocking sound for a couple minutes until it warms up.. Any ideas? The guy I bought it from told me its "Normal" for that engine.. I think not. Is it normal, or is there a common problem with this motor? thanks bill"

Back