Logo

1979 AQ120B wCorroded Exhaust Port

dlennox2001

"Replaced exhaust manifold and

"Replaced exhaust manifold and found bad corrosion on #4 exhaust port on head. Is there any fix for this other than replacement? I heard of a steel sleeve insert but am not sure if this is factory or aftermarket.
Also, is there any chance a head from a 1988 230A engine will work on a 1979 AQ120B? I know the exhaust manifold, valves, ignition and fuel systems are the same or similar, while short block parts aren't. Head and Valve cover gaskets are not the same. Casting mark on 230A head is 1000531 while mark on AQ120B is 1000160.
Any help with this would be appreciated.
Thanks"

Is anyone aware of an automoti

Is anyone aware of an automotive application replacement head for the AQ120B? The engine is a 1979 Volvo 130 cubic inch (110 HP) 4-Stroke OHC In-line 4 with a Solex 44 PHN Sidedraft carburetor. May need to go this route if I can't find a marine one.
Thanks

"I had the same thing happen t

"I had the same thing happen to my volvo on No. 4 .I just took the head off and a machine shop welded around it to add metal, then ground it into shape. I was told this happens because water comes up the leg while in reverse.Make sure you have a new rubber flap on your leg."

"Thanks for the reply, Dennis.

"Thanks for the reply, Dennis. I've been searching for a replacement head but heard of your suggestion from two other guys. Think this is the way to go. The newer Volvo engine from ours (2.3 liter) has a steel ring inside the edge of the #4 exhaust port as a factory effort to address this problem. Would be interested to see if a machine shop could install a steel ring as part of the repair.
I have replaced exhaust flap but the damage was already done while owned by the previous owner.
Thanks again for reply."

i have a 79 Renken with a 120B

i have a 79 Renken with a 120B and i have no clue what the firing order is. i have a book and thought it was in there but isn't. anyone know which is #1 on the cap and what the firing order is?

"Dale,
According to Seloc&#

"Dale,
According to Seloc's 1968-1985 Volvo Penta Stern Drive Tune-up Repair Manual (Appendix A-4)
the firing order of the AQ120B is 1-3-4-2. Follow the #1 spark plug wire back to the distributor to find the correct location of #1. Looking down at the cap, from the front of the engine, you will find #1 to be in the 6-8 o'clock position. On my Bosch distributor there is a notch on the metal edge, under the cap, that marks the location of #1.

Dave"

"Hi, I'm just wondering if

"Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone knows about what a Volvo AQ120 B engine and 270 Volvo Penta Outdrive is worth. Engine and outdrive are in excellent condition. Have throttle cable etc. to go with. If anyone is interested or has a value please let me know. Also have two 30 gallon aluminum gas tanks. All are out of a house boat. Thanks. email [email protected] or phone 435-820-0212"

Back