Logo

MD6B will not start

C

crown28owner

"Been trying to start this eng

"Been trying to start this engine for 6 months now any ideas what to try next ?

Replaced broken injection pump last summer, this broke according to mechanic from water in the fuel. I have carefully installed the pump as per the manual, so the gears line up and the timing mark lines up.

The engine cranks normally, fuel comes out injection pump normally, have had the injectors rebuilt, have of course changed the fuel and filters etc, have checked the fuel going to injectors for air and water and see nothing wrong. Have a fully charged marine battery so she cranks at full speed. I have shot some quickstart into the air intake a couple times (sputters for a couple seconds) and then nothing.

I know very little about the engine internals but all worked fine before the injection pump broke, the engine seems to have compression, if I release the compression lever it hand cranks easy, close lever then tough to crank manually, the valves seem to operate fine (observing when hand cranking).

So I believe the fuel delivery part is all ok, don't know about return lines if this could stop it from starting, or the exhaust system if that could prevent starting.

What to try next , I bought some cetane booster and will put in the tank and fuel filter this weekend and let her crank some more.

Anybody any ideas ?

Thanks

Kevin"

try adjusting pump timeing wer

try adjusting pump timeing were pump bolts up to drive.should be timeing marks there.if ok there then you mit be 180deg out

"yep it was out 180 degress th

"yep it was out 180 degress the fuel was going in on the air intake stroke, there are several marks on the gear at the back of the pump I had lined it up against the wrong mark

thanks"

Back