Logo

1985 Sea Ray 57 OMC starting problems

B

BobMcGuire

"I'm hoping someone can he

"I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem. This engine runs strong when started, 4400 RPM no problem, idles well and accelerates smoothly. The headache is getting it started. I've done all the normal tuneup stuff ie plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points and condenser. Timing and dwell are spot on. I carefully rebuilt the Quadra jet (but did not mess with the float) and yes the temperature controlled choke is working fine. I have replaced the ignition switch also. I run premium gas and there is no water in the tank. The symptoms are it seems to be harder to start when warmed up (takes 10-15 trys)than when cold. Also when it does start it seems to happen right when I'm releasing the ignition key. I don't think it needs gas because the carb accelerator pump readily shoots gas into the carb and it doesn't make a bit of difference. Any ideas would be helpfull. I have not changed the coil. Thanks"

there is a purple wire i think

there is a purple wire i think that is diconnected down by the starter i dont think you have any spark when you starter is turning it probaby starts when let key off allowing enough voltage to power ignition it probably wants to start once starter disengages. you are actually flooding motor making it even harder to start

"I will just say this differen

"I will just say this different from shawn, he is right, When cranking the solinoid at the starter is supposed to supply a straight 12v to the coil to help starting, after you let go of the key and the solinoid retracts, the resistor side of the circut takes over at about 8v or so. You can test this by puting a jumper from your battery pos to the pos on the coil, then start. It should start right up. Do not leave the jumper for the coil will not like a constant 12v. If this works get your starter serviced adding a new solinoid."

Back