Logo

Fuel Meter Advice

mainshipman

"I'm thinking about adding

"I'm thinking about adding a fuel monitor as a winter project, one of these fancy packages that would allow me to get some basic numbers on fuel economy and learn how to cruise more efficiently. I'm looking for any advice, warnings or endorsements anyone might have.

I own a Mainship 40 Trawler with a single 370 Yanmar diesel (the engine is essentially new, with 100+ hours on it) and a 300-gallon capacity split between two tanks. My plan was to go with FloScan equipment, because they seem to dominate the industry, though I'm open to other suggestions. I haven't contacted Yanmar yet to see if they offer anything, but it's on my list.

My plan was to do this job myself, installing the sensory gear in the engine compartment, which has ample space, and gages at both the upper and lower helm stations. I don't have much experience with this kind of work, but this seems realistic, at least in theory. I figure I can get lots of guidance from the folks at my dealer, engine shop and FloScan (or whoever). And I can always call in a pro to clean up my mess if I botch it, though I'm sure they hate such assignments.

So...anyone care to talk me out of this? Am I being unrealistic and foolish to start cutting on my fuel lines as a solo endeavor? Any advice on what to buy or how to proceed? Any success stories? Horror stories? Lessons learned?

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated..."

Flow scan make a great product

Flow scan make a great product. Yanmar have a fuel return on each injector to lubricate and cool same. I am sure the Flo Scan will compensate this error in fuel dilivery. To my knowledge Yanmar do not make fuel flow meters.
This add on is a personal touch. enjoy

"The FloScan meters both the f

"The FloScan meters both the fuel line and the return, which I'm guessing will compensate. I think you are right about Yanmar, but I thought I'd check, just to be sure. Thanks a bunch for the post."

Back