Logo

Advice on Fuel Meters

mainshipman

"I'm thinking about adding

"I'm thinking about adding a fuel monitor as a winter project, one of these fancy packages that would allow me to get some basic numbers on fuel economy and learn how to cruise more efficiently. I'm looking for any advice, warnings or endorsements anyone might have.

I own a Mainship 40 Trawler with a single 370 Yanmar diesel (the engine is essentially new, with 100+ hours on it) and a 300-gallon capacity split between two tanks. My plan was to go with FloScan equipment, because they seem to dominate the industry, though I'm open to other suggestions. I haven't contacted Yanmar yet to see if they offer anything, but it's on my list.

My plan was to do this job myself, installing the sensory gear in the engine compartment, which has ample space, and gages at both the upper and lower helm stations. I don't have much experience with this kind of work, but this seems realistic, at least in theory. I figure I can get lots of guidance from the folks at my dealer, engine shop and FloScan (or whoever). And I can always call in a pro to clean up my mess if I botch it, though I'm sure they hate such assignments.

So...anyone care to talk me out of this? Am I being unrealistic and foolish to start cutting on my fuel lines as a solo endeavor? Any advice on what to buy or how to proceed? Any success stories? Horror stories? Lessons learned?

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated..."

"Okay. First of all, you'

"Okay. First of all, you'll need TWO flowmeters since fuel is also pumped back to the tank. (The head has to deduct that fuel from the flow coming TO the engine.) Any air bubbles in either line and the readings will be way too high, so that too is a concern.

I installed a Flo-Scan on my boat and love it! That is not to say it "fell into place" all by itself: I had to relocate the flowmeter a few times to get a correct reading. (The fuel pump was sucking air from a shutoff valve just before the flowmeter.) After this was done, and I calibrated it with a few gas fill ups, the unit has been amazingly effective! I was able to increase my MPG enough to pay for it in one year!

So, with fuel prices going ever upwards, I'd give it a serious look into.

Jeff"

Jeff --

Thanks for the adv

Jeff --

Thanks for the advice -- good stuff.

Can you drill down on the location issue? The idea is to minimize or eliminate air bubbles. So you suggest locating it away from any cutoff valves or any other source of air. Do I have that right?

Anything else to minimize that problem?

"Correct. If you locate the f

"Correct. If you locate the flowmeter BEFORE the fuel valves they won't bother you. Hard to believe that the fuel pump could suck in that much air, but...

Jeff"

Back