Logo

Gook spark plug for merc 120

67_cobia

i have a mercruiser 120 with a

i have a mercruiser 120 with autolite 440. What the best plug i can put in there to help/not worry. I recieved the boat with these autolites and have never used that brand.

"Autolite has put out respecta

"Autolite has put out respectable ignition products over the years. Though they are a subsidirary of Ford, I have used Autolite spark plugs and plug wire sets in GM products I've owned for a long time. It might be good to note that a lot of people who waste a lot of time looking for a "super plug". There is really is no such thing. Pay attention to proper gapping and use anti-seize on the threads when installing."

"AC Delco in GM, Autolite in F

"AC Delco in GM, Autolite in Ford, Champion in Chrysler. Make sure you get the "M" for marine on the plug, aka, MR43T instead of R43T, the "M" plug will have nickel plating for corrosion protection."

"The 4 brands mentioned are al

"The 4 brands mentioned are all good. If I had to pick one, probably NGK is top dog. Nickel plating is OK but I get along nicely with automotive plugs, relying upon the anti-sieze to keep the threads from getting frozen with corrosion and pocketing the change but I understand the concern. I used to follow the rule of using respective manufacturers brand, AC Delco in GM ect., but found it unnecessary."

"I just don't see the need

"I just don't see the need to mix plugs, Ive had more than one customer that had a parts guy at a auto store try to cross a part number and gave the guy a plug with too long a reach and screwed up a motor. How would Mr.Roberts know if the parts guy was giving him the wrong heat range or a non resistor plug. The Merc tag on the engine has the plug spec on it, that seems full proof to me. Its a four clyinder for god sake, whats the big deal about sticking to a marine plug. How often do you spend for spark plugs. Everything right they should last 4 to 5 years easy."

"I Totally Agree with Harve,..

"I Totally Agree with Harve,.......

Except,... The new MR43Ts have a SSteel body... Not Plated.......

And,........ I wouldn't put a Champion Plug into ANY motor............"

Back