Logo

Lower Unit Stuck

mung

"I am trying to change the imp

"I am trying to change the impeller on my 1999 Yammy 9.9 long shaft. I disconnected the shift rod removed the 4 nuts on the lower unit and it won't move at all, not even a crack in the joint. I checked and there is no bolt under the anode. I have been told that my drive shaft must be siezed and the only way I might be able to fix it is to pull the power head. So is it possible it's anything else? If not then how can I remove the powerhead with the minium required disassembly? I have the manual but it goes through the entire disassembly process not just getting the powerhead off. This motor runs great so I really don't want to risk doing anything to the powerhead.

Thanks!"

GET YOUR TORCH OUT and heat a

GET YOUR TORCH OUT and heat area where lower unit breaks away from exaust tower there are dowel pins that are probaly stuck. even if drive shaft is stuck it should move a little power head is easily removed (if you have done it before)if the drive shaft is indead stuck power head wont come off very easy either. good luck let me know if need any help

"Frozen drive shaft:
Let it h

"Frozen drive shaft:
Let it hang between two trees (one rope on each end of the motor and pull tight). The horisontal angle will amplify the weight of the motor . If not enough, use something for tensioning the rope even more, e.g. a jack. If you grease the splines and regularly change the waterpump in the future, you will not have that problem again.
good luck
Robert"

"Mung,

A frozen driveshaft

"Mung,

A frozen driveshaft can be a tough problem to solve. If it is really bad, you could easily damage the lower unit before the shaft comes out.

I usually pull off the lower and leave the driveshaft in the crank. Then a puller can be rigged on the driveshaft, and there is a chance of getting it out.

In order to do this you would need to remove the rear cap (bearing carrier) on the lower and remove the prop shaft. Then you have to remove the pinion nut. You should be able to pull the lower off. The driveshaft will pull through the pump, breaking the pump housing.

Tony"

Back