Logo

CRUSADER 82 GAS ENGINE VS TRANS RATIO

W

William Love

"Hi guys, it me (Bill Love

"Hi guys, it me (Bill Love) again. But now broke and broken.

As most of you guys know, I am the guy who have had a hell of a problem in re powering my 40X boat with Crusader 8.1 (425 hp) gas engines and Hurth ZF 63 IV Trans. The initial problem was discovered in the first sea trail of the new engines, i.e., the Trans were the incorrect gear ratio for the boat. That is, the trans received attached to the engine were 1.5:1 gear instead of required 2.5:1 (per a $360 findings).

After many discussions with Crusader, Crusader's distributor, etc., I was provided the 2.5:1 trans in exhange for the 1.5:1 initial trans. It should be noted that although I purchased the engines with the trans attached, I had to have the initial trans detached and exchanged for the 2.5:1 trans. Had to pay the same costs for pulling boat, pulling the engine and re-installing the engines. All of this happened early last winter (05) and therefore have not had the opportunity do another sea trail.

Now that I bored you'll with the xo!! background to my question and have already felt the heat of not having the needed knowledge in ordering the engine/trans, nor I didn't (nor my mechanic -- because I did the ordering) think to check further everthing once received. The mix-up was later found to be the boat size which Crusader said was later provided to them per their phone call to ?????

QUESTION: The Crusader owner manual (page 24) specify that the MODEL IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (8TH, 9TH 10TH digits) identify the DRIVE GEAR RATIO OR REDUCTION. Those spaces on my engines tags show 150, which per the example provided in the manual means 1.5:1 gear. My trans are 2.5:1 gear ratio. Will I still have a problem? What options do I have."

"Bill,

First of all, I'

"Bill,

First of all, I'm sorry to hear about all your problems. I would really like to know who the ???? is. That order would have never gotten out the door if Crusader knew what boat you were working on. Very seldom do they sell an 8.1 with 1.50:1 gears. Where was the dealer when this was going on? They should have certainly known that you could never use a 1.5 gear in a 40' boat. My next question is, why did they pull the boat, then the motors to replace the gears? It is a simple process which takes about 4 hrs. each and can be done in the water.

Regarding your concern about the engine numbers. The trans code is really for Crusader's reference only. Anyone working on the transmission in the future is going to look at the ID tag on the gear to identify it and not the engine model #. Although I'm sure that if you contacted Crusader they would print you out a new sticker reflecting the new model number. I hope the problems are all resolved now. Rick"

Back