Logo

Cant get powerhead off my 89 yamaha

W

wendy ashworth

Trying to remove the powerhead

Trying to remove the powerhead off my 89 Yamaha. It doesnt want to separate from the lower unit. Am I missing something?

"Curious,
IT's a 200ETFX.

"Curious,
IT's a 200ETFX. I broke off one of the bolts near the power tilt motor. Thought that might be it, but it doesnt seem to be the problem."

there are about 10 nuts and bo

there are about 10 nuts and bolts check in center under exaust. can you remove lower unit?if you have all nuts and bolts removed and will still not come off it is stuck on dowl pins and or drive shaft which takes prying good luck!

Thanks for all the help guys.

Thanks for all the help guys. Finally got it off!!

"Shawn,
Have a question for y

"Shawn,
Have a question for you..looks like the previous owner did some lousy handywork on this motor. The exhaust plate-which absolutely will not come off--is all messed up. someoone cut off bolts and cut right into the plate. There are huge gouges on both sides. Think it will be easier to just buy a new mid section since my lower unit and powerhead are both in good shape?"

jacobnorthwest sent the follow

jacobnorthwest sent the following by email:
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

SINCE YAMAHA OUTBOARDS WERE BORN IN 1984 IT MAKES YOUR 89 AN OLD MOTOR WHICH I WOULD NOT BY A NEW MIDSECTION BUT PERHAPS A GOOD USED ONE YAMAHAS PRIMER AND PAINT WAS NOT VERY GOOD BACK THE SO MOST ARE ROTTEN BUT THERE ARE MANY GOOD ONES LAYING AROUND.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

and about how much do you thin

and about how much do you think one will cost me??

Back