Logo

Alpha 1 intermittent solenoid failures

K

Kimber Tag

"Occasionally turning the key

"Occasionally turning the key brings no initial results. Scary after drifting on Lake Erie! Always (so far) a second or third attempts brings cranking. I replace the ignition switch with same performance. I looked at a library's SELOC manual and think possibly the starter slave solenoid is to blame - easy to replace probably. Apparently some folks here say there is another solenoid ON the starter, too? Can that be replaced seperately or is a whole new starter required? Hard to troubleshoot when the problem disappears. Any suggestions are appreciated."

If you you pull the starter yo

If you you pull the starter you should have the whole thing checked out by a reputable starter/alternator shop for good measure. Sounds like the solonoid has some scorched areas on the contact plate and hits a better spot as it rotates with repeated tries but if that doesn't work could be a short in starter motor itself.

"Kimber, I have had this prob

"Kimber, I have had this problem on and off for many years. I have replaced the slave solenoid (front top of motor, starboard side) and the ignition key to no avail. I checked the resistance of the neutral safety switch, and it was OK. I therefore think that the rebuilt starters I was using had too much "play" in the bendix or within the master solenoid on the starter, from wear. I therefore recommend you test the key switch, slave solenoid, neutral safety switch, and then replace the starter with a new marine. You can get one at a discount marine parts store like BoatUS or West marine."

many thanks to everyone for th

many thanks to everyone for their input!
this site is fantastic!
Kim

"Before I started Throwing Par

"Before I started Throwing Parts At It,........

I'd Remove,+ Clean,.. Shiny Clean,.... ALL of the Wires related to the Start Circuit.......
Including ALL of the Grounds.........

A Slightly Corroded Wire End,... Will cause these Exact Symptoms................."

Back