Logo

305 marine engine

homerl

Regular Contributor
Can you use a automotive oil f

Can you use a automotive oil filter for a 305 marine engine?This is a raw water engine/motor.Thanks

"There have been a couple of t

"There have been a couple of threads on this topic in the recent past.

Conclusions seems to be use Merc, or WIX, or most anything but Fram.

Myself I consider the cost of an oil filter every 25-50 hours as nothing, so I use Merc. Concensus seems to be they may be better than most automotive type filters.

Rod"

"Dave,
The answer is yes an

"Dave,
The answer is yes and listen to Rod about the types.If your oil see's water then you have more worries than filters.Replacing frequently should be sooner than perhaps 10 years when it might rust through....Todd"

"Brian,
I can not speak for a

"Brian,
I can not speak for anyone but myself, but I believe Fram makes their cartridges of too thin metal. On different vehicles using different model filters, I have had several Fram brand filters bloat/swell from the internal oil pressure, and thus start leaking heavily around the seal. In one case the filter almost fell off as when warped it was no longer tight against the mount.
Fram just isn't worth the risk to me and is permanently off by buying list. I cannot testify for or against the filter efficiency, just the problem I had."

"I have nothing against Fram f

"I have nothing against Fram filters in my cars. I've been using them for years and some of my cars have had close to 300,000 miles on them when I sold them off. The only filter I ever had trouble with splitting and bloating was a Purolator. I've heard the Napa Gold works well for boats.

BUT I don't use car filters in my boat. The cost is negligible and car filters aren't made for marine environments. Another FYI about OEM filters is they may come in different sizes. I just changed the oil in my MCM470 and noticed the Quicksilver filter that came off was longer than the Sierra filter I got from my marine supply store from parts catelog numbers. The diameter and mount are the same but it's almost 2" longer hence more filtering and cooling ability. It will do for now but I wrote down the OEM number from the old filter to make sure I get the bigger one next time."

"Ayuh,.......

I buy My filt

"Ayuh,.......

I buy My filters a Napa,.....

They're just rebadged Wix filters,... Same part #s,+ all....

Wix usually comes out either nearly, or at the Top of any studies I've read about Oil Filters......

It ain't like Any of the OEMs are actually Making their filters....."

"According to catalog in front

"According to catalog in front of me, Sierra 18-7875 fits Fram PH8A use on Ford style filters for the 2.3, 302, and 351 engines."

"Never use a auto oil filter o

"Never use a auto oil filter on a marine engine,there not the same. Seems if you have water in your oil.... hmmmm,imagine what is happing to your cam a bearings.

Something is leaking"

"[b]"Never use a auto oil

""Never use a auto oil filter on a marine engine,there not the same."

Ayuh,..... Right,......

Can you explain the Difference,..??..??..??"

"yes the cost, that is all!!!<

"yes the cost, that is all!!!
lol.gif
"

"NOOOOOOOOO! One says "MA

"NOOOOOOOOO! One says "MARINE" on it. That makes it better. Read above referenced discussion from ROD.
biggrin.gif
uhoh.gif

If it is under warranty by the mfg. then stick w/the OEM part to keep the mfg. from blaming a failure on a non-OEM part unless they installed it."

""but it's almost 2&#3

""but it's almost 2" longer", quoting from a post above, about the Merc oil filter being longer that an automotive. That fits with what my Merc Tech buddy said about Merc filters being designed for greater thruput - at higer RPMs than auto motor typically turn, pumping more oil thru the filter. Makes sense to me. JW in Dixie"

"Ayuh,.....

Warren,.....

"Ayuh,.....

Warren,.....

Wix lists 3 different lengths for a SBC,....

It totally depends on the Part # choosen........."

Back