Logo

J150GLENC HELP

chevyman3361

"Have owened boat for a year.9

"Have owened boat for a year.92 model and has been in shop several different times for a total of five months to two different mechanics. Usually runs good for a month and starts acting up again. Have replaced powerpak, vro pump, several gaskets in fuel system. Runs good on short runs but on longer runs(5 miles) if i let off throttle will hesitate and when throttling back up lose power like its only running on three cylinders. I let it set and fish and will run good for a while and repeats. Very frustrating would really appreciate any help."

"Does the fuel primer bulb hav

"Does the fuel primer bulb have a tendency to collapse when this takes place? If so......

(Fuel Anti Siphon Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Many of the later OMC V/6 engines incorporate a fuel restriction warning via a vacuum device attached to the powerhead. If the engine overheats, or if you have a fuel restriction, the warning is the same.... a steady constant beep.

NOTE... Only the V/6 & V/8 engines have the above "Fuel Restriction Warning". The warning horn will not sound on the other models.

The fact that a engine is not overheating, but the warning horn sounds off with a constant steady beep, and that the rpms drop drastically would indicate that the engine is starving for fuel due to a fuel restriction. Check the built in fuel tank where the rubber fuel line attaches to the tank fitting. That fitting is in all probability a "Anti Siphon" valve which is notorious for sticking in a semi closed position. It will be aluminum, about 2" long, and the insides of it will consist of a spring, a ball, and a ball seat. If this valve exists, remove it, knock out those inner components which will convert it to a straight through fitting, then re-install it. Hopefully that cures the problem.

The above procedure will cure a restriction problem with the anti siphon valve as stated. BUT, it may also allow fuel to drain backwards to the fuel tank when the engine is not running (siphoning backwards) due to the fact that the carburetors/fuel pump etc are higher than the fuel tank. This condition is not an absolute as the valves in the fuel primer bulb usually prevent this backwards siphoning problem. However.... if this does take place, the cure would be to install a new anti siphon valve.

When time permits, visit my store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"Thanks for the feedback. My

"Thanks for the feedback. My primer bulb isn't completely collapsed nor is it real firm but letting it set and not re-primming bulb with run fine.My engine has the fuel restriction warning alarm and it isn't going off. I have tested it by shutting the fuel off. My boat has two gas tanks and will have the same problem with either tank. While running I have noticed a slight hesitation, like a hicup, from time to time."

"sounds like a shift sw prob p

"sounds like a shift sw prob poss...look on your shift linkage for it and disc,next time it does it.it kills 3 cyls..momentarily while shifting.ck for WATER IN FUEL."

I was thinking about the shift

I was thinking about the shift switch and was wondering what exactly triggers the shift switch. Is it the possition of the throttle? I am at work right now and will be a couple of days before i'll get a chance to look it over.

Back