Logo

Replaceing 30 140hp mercruiserany other engine work

xazguy

"Hey guys new to this forum so

"Hey guys new to this forum so in advance thanks for all your help. I could tell you just about anything on car engines, but not too well versed on marine engines yet so bare with me...anyways i have a i/o 140hp 3.0 mercruiser and it unfortunantly has a cracked block.So with that said i will be replacing it soon. My question would be if any other engine would fit? Would be nice if i could step it up to a 6cyl, but have heard the disposition of the engine would be hard to duplicate with any other engine. So for all you mercruiser buffs i would love some feedback on what you think would be the best options for me to explore. Thanks again and have a great day!!!"

"Welcome,
I am not your guy b

"Welcome,
I am not your guy but I can assure you that you have stumbled onto exactly the right place for information on boats. You can trust the people to be to the point and in my experience, very correct.
Just a vote of confiedence.

Jeff"

as long as you don't menti

as long as you don't mention putting a car engine or car parts into your boat.... you'll get plenty of good answers ;)

"That is TOOOO funny. Jay, you

"That is TOOOO funny. Jay, you must swear to Davy Jones that you never utter that which shall not be mentioned.
Ok, I will leave you to your buisness of getting useful input.
Jeff"

"Jay:

Describe the boat you

"Jay:

Describe the boat you have including the year, length and beam width and OD. Off the top of my head, you'll probably end up w/another 3.0 L due to cost issues."

"I may not know a ton about ma

"I may not know a ton about marine motors, but i do know enough to not even think of car parts/engines in a boat. So thanks for the feedback thus far and i will definantly get those measurments for you Guy. I have heard its a motor distibution issue, which can be done but it may be costly. So thanks again and any more info is greatly appreciated."

"good luck! Sounds ... advent

"good luck! Sounds ... adventurous
"

well I had a 140 3.0 merc in m

well I had a 140 3.0 merc in my 19 foot open bow and it overheated on me so I was looking for a new motor and came across a 190 3.7 (both 4 cyclinders) and it took a little modification for the mounts but I got it in there with little effort. I can post pics if you would like.

"[b]"came across a 190 3.7

""came across a 190 3.7 (both 4 cyclinders)"

Ayuh,.....

In Today's World,.....

That's a Huge step Backwards.....

They've been out of production for 20 Years now....."

"Jay, swapping to a 6 cyl. wou

"Jay, swapping to a 6 cyl. would require a gear ratio change in addition to mounts, etc. big can of worms. best to stick with a 4."

"why is it a huge step backwar

"why is it a huge step backwards he wants another 4 cyclinder and the 3.7 makes more power which he asked for and I'm pretty sure his pocket book would love him more if he went with an inexpensive motor so again why is this a big step backwards????? just wondering, no sarcasism intended I just re-read this and it sounds that way ....sorry"

"[b]"why is it a huge step

""why is it a huge step backwards he wants another 4 cyclinder and the 3.7 makes more power which he asked for and I'm pretty sure his pocket book would love him more if he went with an inexpensive motor so again why is this a big step backwards????? just wondering, no sarcasism intended I just re-read this and it sounds that way ....sorry"

Ayuh,.....

The Old 470s were a Quirky motor to begin with,....
And,....
They've been Out of Production for,.. What,..?? 20 Years or so....
Parts are somewhere between Rare,+ Non-existent,... Many are listed as NLA....

The 470s were Merc's Better Idea,.... That Wasn't....
That's Why they Quit building them.......

The 3.0l has been In production for well over 40 Years,+ is Still being built......"

Back