Logo

Can I change gasoil ratio for Scott 36 outboard

R

Ryan Ellis

I just bought an old 3.6 hp sc

I just bought an old 3.6 hp scott mcculloch outboard. The recommended ration on the motor is 16:1 - Can I lean this down and by how much? Thanks

"Just my 2 cents here, but I w

"Just my 2 cents here, but I would NOT recommend leaning this down. Lots of people will tell you that with today's oils you can go with a higher fuel/oil ratio, but I'm not one of them. The old engine doesn't have roller bearings or smooth internal surfaces like a newer engine and needs the extra lubrication took keep the metal parts from grinding into each other. I'd rather clean a fouled plug every once in a while than kill an old motor. You'll likely get votes for 24:1 being an ok mixture, but I wouldn't do it."

"Never run the oil mix leaner

"Never run the oil mix leaner than recommended. Richer on the oil is okay within reason, but not leaner. As Wayne said, cleaning a fouled plug once in a while is better than killing an old motor. From what I have seen, most smaller engines over 15 years old tend to use a bearing surface instead of rollers and NEED the extra oil. Think of leaning out the oil like running a car or truck with less oil than it's supposed to have."

Back