Logo

Wgat is your experience with late model easy drain coolant systems

david_ray

Regular Contributor
"Every year, once I winterize

"Every year, once I winterize in the fall, I never use boat until I am sure it will not freexe again. This means I miss out on some quick cruising on those extra warm afternoons during the winter months.
At boat show this year, the sales forces were selling me on the current "one valve" drain system such that it is supposedly quick and easy to use boat and drain again. My experience tells me that there is probably some things they are not telling me, that do not make this new system "foolproof".
So, I am wandering what experiences you have and what you think about using such system for my intentions?
Appreciate any comments, as none of my friends have these latest systems yet. And I am very interested in buying later this year. Twenty years is long enough for owning current runabout."

Who makes or sells it? What&#

Who makes or sells it? What's it called? I have a converted SS one button softdrink dispenser drain valve yet to install.

"Ayuh,.....

They Work Perfe

"Ayuh,.....

They Work Perfectly,.......

Til a spec of Rust, or Sand, or other Crud blocks something, somewhere......

Then you have a Frozen, Busted Block........"

"quote -- [Who makes or sells

"quote -- [Who makes or sells it?]

The new Mercruiser units had one valve to open and drain per salesmen. Volvo units had one or two easy to reach valves plus (as I recall) one lower hose connection to pull. Details a little rusty since January, but that was all one supposedly had to do to have a worry-free winter!

If it really proves to work that easy it would be great in this climate, but since moving south I have had three cracked manifolds and one cracked block, even once with engine filled with antifreeze. Probably as Bondo described above. -- maybe I should move back north where I never had that problem."

"Merc calls it the single poin

"Merc calls it the single point drain system, and its available on most of the new engine packages.

The idea is that all the drain points are manifolded together into one common drain valve that sits low on the front port side of the engine. There is a blue handle that operates this valve that extends up to the top of the engine right beside the remote oil filter. You simply open the valve and presto; all water drain points simultaneously drain into the bilge.

If it works as advertised it sounds like a great idea, but I am not sure if I could ever fully trust it.

Rod"

"quote -- [If it works as adve

"quote -- [If it works as advertised it sounds like a great idea, but I am not sure if I could ever fully trust it. ]

That's about where I stand. Also I wonder if it has some type vent arrangement to improve drainage potential."

"Boys:

"I have a conver

"Boys:

"I have a converted SS one button softdrink dispenser drain valve yet to install." It has 4 fittings for drain lines to connect to the 2 block and 2 manifold drains.

I am thinking of adding a compressed air fitting to "blow" any rust, sand and gunk out of the way of the block drain holes. Your opinions would be helpful."

"I can tell you from experince

"I can tell you from experince that the new flush system is a failure,we always pulled the block plugs and poked them with a wire to clean them out and 9times out of ten they were clogged,then along came the new system and you didn't have to deal with the block plugs!wanna bet?pull the hose and connector off at the block and I can almost gaurantee it will be plugged up as they always were before ,which means the block would not have drained!I went round and round with a merc rep last year and he basically told me I was wrong,then he came to the shop and I did one in front of him and I never heard anything from him or them again,folow your insticts and go old school or you could have some REAL problems boys!"

Back