Logo

35 2stroke fuel leak

djy887

"When not in use, the motor mo

"When not in use, the motor mount is raised up out of the water and the motor is tilted forward probably 35-40 degrees from vertical. I normally have the fuel valve shut and the cap vent shut. Today I noticed that someone had placed oil absorbant rags around the cowling and the fuel tank was dry. It looks like I left the cap vent open. Is it possible for the fuel to "gravity" drain if the fuel valve and cap vent are not shut? Does that create a "hydraulic lock" to prevent leakage. Best I can tell, leakage is around the carb area."

"With the motor tilted and the

"With the motor tilted and the valve open air will get in through the carb work it's way back to the "on-board" tank and allow it to gurgle out slowly through the carb (not the exact techincal terms obviously)
"

"Vent open, cock closed and th

"Vent open, cock closed and throttle set to the turtle...The vent should be left open to prevent expansion."

Fuel leak epilogue. Went down

Fuel leak epilogue. Went down to the boat today on a gorgeous day. Lowered the outboard and placed my hand on the fuel cutoff valve to open it...and the switch fell off in my hand. The shaft had sheared. A quick trip to Roy's Marine...$15 for a new valve and another 10 minutes to install it...and I'm back in business.

Back