Logo

Old vs New

tboltmike

Regular Contributor
"Given the improvements made i

"Given the improvements made in outboards over the years and possible changes in the HP rating methodology, what kind of performance changes might be expected say between my 1975, 115 hp Johnson as compared to a new 115 Etec and the same boat? My 1975 still runs like new. Just curious what to expect if it should ever need to be replaced."

You'll get 15% extra horse

You'll get 15% extra horsepower for a start as your old motor is rated at the flywheel and post-1986 they are rated at the prop. Newer outboards use a lot less fuel and are quieter/lighter.

"Andy, you forgot to mention t

"Andy, you forgot to mention that you make adjustments with your laptop instead of a screwdriver
"

Actually many / most motors ar

Actually many / most motors are getting heavier.For example the 1972 -125HP Johnson was said to be 252 LBS and the Johnson 90 HP of say 1995 was 305 LBS.The 1975 was a good design but suffered from those " pressure back " piston rings.Many have been rebuilt with the better WISECO pistons and will then run like new for a long time to come.

"I saw were my engine is about

"I saw were my engine is about 30 or lbs lighter than the Etec. On another post someone said that it was the difference between loop charge vs cross flow, if I have my terms right.
My engine runs very well, but worry about the new fuels and the gaskets."

New fuels may affect the mater

New fuels may affect the materials in the fuel system only.If you have the time pick up new fuel pump / hoses / carburetor bowl gaskets--- That is about it.Yours is crossflow and the newer and heavier 90 HP is crossflow.The newer 120 HP loopers came in at 340lbs. It is a common misbelief that new means lighter ----- Computer aided design makes them look compact and lighter----The " bonus " for owners of new motors is that they are harder to work on.

"Andy, Graham and ikia thanks

"Andy, Graham and ikia thanks for informative feedback. The price of gas is really going to limit engine run time this summer."

"Mike, you could always spend

"Mike, you could always spend 10 grand on a new motor that burns less gas
"

I ran a 79' 115 HP Evinrud

I ran a 79' 115 HP Evinrude hard for over 12 years and it was still tight when I upgraded to a 99'115HP Fitch in 03'.The 79' had a better holeshot because of the higher gear ratio but the 99'with the V-6 lower unit and lower gearing gives me a good cruising speed at a much lower RPM.On a 17' Pro-Line CC I'm getting 6.5-7 MPG @28MPH/3600RPM.Thats MUCH better than the old 115.

"Larry, good input for compari

"Larry, good input for comparison. Was the '99 a V6?
Graham, even at $4/gal 10g's will buy a lot of gas.
My main curiosity was performance difference in a retorical sense.
I had heard that the Etec 90hp would be a close match for the old 115."

"Mike, that was kinda my point

"Mike, that was kinda my point - I can see replacing a motor if you toast your present one, but at the cost of a new one I can buy alot of gas and oil for my older 2 strokes.

And yes, a 90 ETEC would be comparable to an older 115 in terms of torque/horsepower at the prop....

P.S. I only wish gas was "only" 4 bucks a gallon. In Canada gas is currently 1.20 a litre (at 3.88 litres to the US gallon) - that makes my boat gas about $4.65 a gallon...."

"just so you all know gas is a

"just so you all know gas is at 1.30 per liter and talking 1.50 by summer here in canada,what a croc just in time for play time"

"Larry, Just didn't unders

"Larry, Just didn't understand the "V-6 lower unit".
Albert, Ever notice how big business (oil, insurance, medical, amusement, etc.) and gov't knows how to maximus extractus when it come to prices. They know just how much to charge to keep us from accumulating wealth while leaving us just enough to eek by."

Back