Logo

Out drive when turning

jeremy27

Regular Contributor
"I have a alpha1 out drive, wh

"I have a alpha1 out drive, when I get up to about 35mph and turn all the way to the right it does great,but when I turn all the way to the left it seems like it slows down and over revs,but I can put the trim down some and it does find or if I slow down it does find.That does't seem right, but I may be wrong."

"Hard right at 35 mph? In rea

"Hard right at 35 mph? In real tight higher speed turns most boats will turn better one direction or other due to propellor rotation. How much it affects a boat depends on hull design, trim angle, boat weight, wind and wave direction etc. You can walk the prop partially out of water if turning tight enough. So what you are experiencing is common. What I can not say is whether you boat is affected more than normal. Sometime switching from a two blade to a three blade prop helps, or even from a three to a four blade prop."

"thanks,I was thinking I broke

"thanks,I was thinking I broke something,but now you said all that about the wind and trim it wouldmake cents because if I put the trim down it will turn no problem,thanks alot."

"Jeremy,
Its called cavita

"Jeremy,
Its called cavitation.Most all boats will do this and as stated above...one side more than the other.This really is not at all how you want to run the boat or expect costly repairs in the very near future.
Many people try the Dol-fins to help against this problem of grabbing air in rough waters and in some cases to just get on plane....Todd"

That is part of the TRIM CONTR

That is part of the TRIM CONTROL'S job...trim it down and then back up...like driving a racecar and shifting gears.

"Jeremy:

"trim it down

"Jeremy:

"trim it down and then back up...like driving a racecar and shifting gears."

I was just reiterating David's and Todd's comments and should have been more clear about I was talking about the OD when making sharp left turns and not "backing up". Sorry.
blush.gif
"

"ok, I get it now, my bad,I se

"ok, I get it now, my bad,I see what you are talking about I'm alittle slow some times.thanks"

Back