Logo

Thermostat

rickroot

Contributing Member
"Okay so I've had my boat

"Okay so I've had my boat about 4 years now and this spring, while diagnosing an engine overheating problem, I discovered that the boat had no thermostat.

In 4 years, I'd never paid attention to the temp gauge so I can't tell you if it ran cool or not. I may have assumed the temp gauge didn't work.

The manual says NEVER to run the engine without a thermostat.

why would you remove the thermostat?"

QUICK FIX ON THE WATER AND NEV

QUICK FIX ON THE WATER AND NEVER REPLACED IT OR IT RAN HOT ALL THE TIME W/IT.

"So now it's overheating w

"So now it's overheating without the thermostat?

Sounds like whoever removed it and never replaced it cured a symptom and not the cause.

Once you do replace the t-stat, take a look at the impeller. If it's never been replaced, or even in the 4 years you've owned it, it's long over due.

You're next step if repalcing the impeller doesn't do it, will be the exhaust risers(elbows) and if raw water cooled, the exhaust manifolds."

"Troy, no this is completely u

"Troy, no this is completely unreleated. I haven't run the boat since it overheated, and it didn't have a thermostat in it then. However, it's clearly been without a thermostat for a very long time.

I have now replaced the thermostat *AND* impeller so as soon as I figure out the stern drive oil leak issue (hopefully tonight!), I'll give it a test.

I was just asking about the thermostat since the manual says to NEVER run without one and I've been running without one for 4 years.

Though I admit it's quite possible that I've never paid attention to the temp gauge in all that time. so in the past, it may have been running normal, or cold, I don't know. Something I'll certainly pay more attention to now."

What did the impeller look lik

What did the impeller look like?

Operate in fresh or salt water?

"the impeller was complete cra

"the impeller was complete crap. It was brittle, and several of the blades had broken off and were sitting in the water pump base. The water tube guide was melted."

"Rick,
Tests show that engi

"Rick,
Tests show that engines last longer and run much better at proper temps.The thermostat simply lets the engine get to that proper temp much quicker, but what many forget is that without one in...the water goes through much faster.The opening is way to big compared to the opening of a thermostat in the open position.
Would really like to convince you to start peaking at the gauges every 30 seconds if possible.Waiting for alarms is money already down the drain....Todd"

"You don't have to convinc

"You don't have to convince me of that, I've every intention of doing that from now on."

Back