Logo

Help I want a faster boat

chazzsnider

"I have a 21' SeaRay (

"I have a 21' SeaRay ('88 seville). It has the small 3.0L Merc Cruiser engine. I'm considering selling or trading it in for a faster boat. Before I do that, I looking into the feasibility of dropping in a bigger engine. I'd have a local marine repair shop do it since I'm not a mechanic. Before I go, does anyone have a resource for me on how big an engine my boat can handle. I've seen my vintage of boat have a 6-cylinder but I'll hoping for a V8. Is there anywhere I can independantly (other than a service shop) find out what my options are? How much might a new or reman engine cost (installed)? Please help if you can. Thanks, Chaz"

""Before I go, does anyone

""Before I go, does anyone have a resource for me on how big an engine my boat can handle."
It`s more of How BIG your Jewels and Checkbook are
A 502 W/ bravo III
Staggard twin V6`s or V8`s
Single V8 or V6
Either way you would need a gear change in the upper unit. Alpha`s can handle 300 hp.Considering a complete propulsion package pulley to prop
$15K-20K"

"If your boat is similar to mi

"If your boat is similar to mine (21' open bow runabout), the v6 is all the room you have without modifying hull and seats. So for all the cost and trouble, you would come out a lot better off just buying a newer boat with power in the range of what you want."

"[b]"So for all the cost a

""So for all the cost and trouble, you would come out a lot better off just buying a newer boat with power in the range of what you want."

Ayuh,....... Exactly.......

Unless of course you're prepared to $pend the equalivent of the Price of a New boat, on your old boat....."

"See what power options were o

"See what power options were offered for your model and year of boat. That will give you an idea of what your options are.

Last year I dropped a 350 hp 383 small block Chevy into my 21' Blue Water Mirage, in place of the stock 180 hp 4.3 V-6. Loads of room, vastly different performance. Changed the Alpha upper gear set to a 1.47. Very happy with the results and it was cheaper than a new boat of similar performance (I think).

Just my opinion.
Rod"

I think there is one for sale

I think there is one for sale locally here(for next to nothing btw) with a 260 merc alpha 1 set up.

So it should accept up to 350CI GM without any problems except for getting it in or ??

Back