Logo

Oil leaking through weephole in stern drive

rickroot

Contributing Member
"So I'm not very mechanica

"So I'm not very mechanical, and my dad, who is, helped me replace the water pump (all of it) in my 1985 mercruiser alpha one stern drive.

Since we didn't know what the hell we were doing, and didn't really follow the instructions in my SELOC manual, we ended up installing the water pump without one part (which we suspected was missing but thought maybe since it didn't come with this particular part that maybe we didn't need it).. Before installing the water pump, we poured the gear lube oil back into cavity below the water pump (this took freakin' forever).... then installed the water pump, and reattached the lower unit.

I didn't actually run the engine at this point because I suspected missing parts, but one thing I noticed was gear lube oil leaking out the weephole in the lower unit.

Well, today, we removed the lower unit again and completed the water pump installation. The two pieces we hadn't installed were the flinger (aka "rubber ring") that sits on top of the water pump housing, and the drive shaft o-ring. So we added those parts, and noted the oil leak on the shift shaft. Not sure where the oil came from. We also replaced the rubber washer in the oil passageway between the upper and lower unit.

At this poitn, btw, the lower unit was still full of oil. We'd never completely refilled the oil but since we were only installing a few things above the water pump we just left the oil in there.

After reattaching the lower unit again, I proceeded to fill the unit with gear lube. Removed the vent and drain screws, and shoved in a squeezable bottle of marine gear lube I'd picked up at an auto parts shop. And I squeezed. I don't know how much had come out of the 10oz squeeze tube, but suddenly, oil started pouring out the weephole!

Now, I haven't removed the lower unit again to inspect, but I wondered what I ought to do. Clearly I've got a leak somewhere, I'm just not sure where to look. Perhaps the oil seal on the shift shaft is bad. Wouldn't surprise me, I ran the boat for 5 minutes with a completely failed water impeller (unknowningly). I wasn't paying attention to the temp gauge, and we heated the einge so hot that even after 45 minutes of sitting in the water waiting, it was almost too hot to touch!

Recommendations, besides paying better attention to the temp gauge in the future?

Thanks.

Rick"

"what do you mean by "What

"what do you mean by "What type of drive?" Sorry... I thought "1985 mercruiser alpha one stern drive" sufficed... umm.. it's not generation II... standard rotation...

by drive shaft seal, do you mean the o-ring near the top of the drive shaft, or the oil seal in the water pump housing base, or the large o-ring below the water pump housing base, or something else?"

""...we heated the einge s

""...we heated the einge so hot that..."

"... we poured the gear lube oil back into cavity below the water pump..."

"...didn't really follow the instructions..."

Since the engine got very hot, how hot do you think the water impeller housing got? Did you replace both halves of the water pump? There is a major seal on the bottom half.

Installing oil is the last part of the job; from the drain hole.

Following directions; enough said. START OVER."

"Yes, we replaced both parts o

"Yes, we replaced both parts of the water pump housing, top and bottom. I mentioned that we poured the oil back in before installing the water pump base.. that took forever but yes of course, I know you fill the oil from the bottom, so before we completed the work yesterday, that's what I was trying to do when I noticed the leak out the weephole, I was pumping oil into the bottom.

We're gonna take a look at this again tomorrow night, though I might take the lower unit off again today if I have time after cleaning out the garage! =)"

"Take a look at this drawing:

"Take a look at this drawing:

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=%2099964&ivar=images/CRUI SER/99964/30067.png&inbr=2203&bnbr=80&bdesc=DRIVESHAFT+HOUSING+AND+DRIVESHAFT

Look more like what you're working on? Use the links at the left to look at other sections of the outdrive.

The serial number of the outdrive would help narrow the search.

I'd recommend starting over with new gasket kits. Replace all the software, pressure test it, then refill with oil. Going after the shaft seal(s) in the upper unit is going to be something of a challenge if you don't have the bearing carrier wrench. Pay attention to where the shims are when it comes appart.
Also, are you using a pump to refill it... they cost about $10, and make the job a heck of a lot easier than squeezing the oil bottle."

Almost forgot... there should

Almost forgot... there should be a high temperature alarm in there to let you know when it's overheating. It's usually wired in parallel with the low oil pressure alarm. I'd spend some time troubleshooting that as well.

"Good news. My suspicion of t

"Good news. My suspicion of the water pump housing base being the incorrect part was correct. We took everything apart, put the OLD (original) water pump housing on along with new gaskets and stuff, put everything back together and filled it back up with gear lube, no problem.

Tried to start it (with the water running) but my battery was low, so I couldn't get it going (and I was too lazy to jump it). But she's back together and NOT leaking oil, so that's good.

I also installed a new tach and fuel gauge."

Back