Logo

I give up Help Please

jmh8098

"I replaced the shift diode an

"I replaced the shift diode and the blocking diode in my 1972 Johnson 100 hp. Now I am blowing fuses and am afraid to do anything else. My wife is going to kill me if I dont get this thing running. I know the engine runs fine, I had it running great, it just wouldn't go into neutral or reverse. That is why I went with replacing the diodes. I am having a hard time reading and understanding the wiring diagram, and I have inherited some rewiring so the wire color coding is irrelevant. I have to get this done. Is there anybody here in the Hudson Valley area in New York that knows anything about these engines that could help me out. I'd be willing to trailer the boat to wherever you are or would cover your gas to my place and obviously compensate you for your time. I am desperate and don't want to drop it off at some shop and have it sit there for a month while the stripers are running!!"

"Jason,I am no expert on marin

"Jason,I am no expert on marine engines, however I work on battery operated equipment as my trade,If you e-mail me a copy of your wiring diagram I may be able to help.. Are you shure that this unit has electroic shift contol,given the year of the engine this does not rite to me. Also let me know what me know what fuse's are failing. Michael"

Sure it had electric shift ---

Sure it had electric shift ---That type came out in 68 and was last produced in 72.You need to find a greyhaired mechanic who knows these simple units.

"Jason,

If the blocking dio

"Jason,

If the blocking diode was bad the engine would not turn off; it prevents current from the stator from powering the 12 volt ignition when you turn the key to the off position.

If replacing the shift diode has caused the fuse to blow, you might have a short in the shift circuitry.

You can find out if the gearcase can be made to work. Disconnect the blue and green wires that go down to the lower unit. They should have scissor type connectors, but anything is possible on an older engine. When power is applied to the blue wire the gearcase should go into neutral; power to both wires should put it into reverse. If you can't say for sure what the colors are, you can try both possibilities without damaging anything.

Test these wires with an ohmeter ( black to ground, red to each wire separately).

We are located on City Island, 718-885-2012, so if you have no luck give us a call.

Tony"

Diodes have a polarity. Got t

Diodes have a polarity. Got them in the right direction?

Back