Logo

Starter

jafma

"Hi....
Mercruiser 4.3
My bo

"Hi....
Mercruiser 4.3
My boat has been sitting for two years. Charged the batteries, turned the key to start - nothing.
When I directly energize the solenoid on the starter, it clicks vigorously. When I apply direct power to the lower post - into the starter motor - I get a spark, but the starter motor does not spin. I assume I need a starter. Is there anything else I should try before I attempt to pull it out?
If I do have to remove it - how? I see a couple of small bolts holding a rubber cover - but a don't see how the starter is attached to the bell housing.
Thanks"

"Pull the spark plugs first,an

"Pull the spark plugs first,and retest. 2 years shouldnt jam a starter unless the boat was filled with water above the starter at some point.Was it winterized properly?"

"Yes, I winterized it at the e

"Yes, I winterized it at the end of the 2006 season, and no, I don't believe the starter was sitting in water - although, even though the boat was shrink-wrapped with some ventilation holes - it was damp in there. There is some surface rust here and there.
I cranked the motor over slowly with a socket wrench to make sure it was free before I did anything. It goes over the compression, so I'm sure there's no water in the cylinders.
Now that a look more closely at the starter motor, it looks as if the mounting bolts come up through the casting from the bottom - is that correct?"

"sent you a file for it.but ye

"sent you a file for it.but yes (2) 1/2 bolts up from the bottom.remove the + battery cable,starter connections, 2 bolts ,and out it comes"

Back