Logo

1973 Mercuiser 188 HP Ford 302

dcboatalot

"Hello;
I need some help ever

"Hello;
I need some help everyone! I have a 1973 Caravelle 21' Cutty Cabin. It has a mercuiser with a Ford 302 188HP. 2 Weeks ago, I blew an impeller and over heated the engine. I replaced the impeller, took the boat out for test drive and it was still running a little hot. I check the thermostat and it was done. I took out the themostat, took the intake hose off the thermostat housing to see if water comes to the engine and it did. I took out the boat, ran it for 1.5 hours in low speed and it never ran hot. I took the boat out this past weekend and it lost power and stalled after running for about 5 minutes. I checked the oil and it was all fouled up and looked like chocolate milk!!!
I think its the head gasket but some else told me it was a cracked head or a cracked block. But I am leaning toward head gasket. Can anyone direct me in a right direction?"

Sounds like it may have hydrol

Sounds like it may have hydrolocked. Change the oil and filter and pull the manifolds and risers and check for cracks and signs of water intrusion. Let us know what you find.

"You may be lucky and find a s

"You may be lucky and find a shot head gakset, but if so that means that you likely have a warped or cracked head from overheating. Heads don't like to run for long with no cooling water.

You should likely pull the heads and take them to a head shop for crack and warp checks.

Rod"

Back