Logo

Outdrive

C

captduck

I have a 2003 mercruiser 1.81

I have a 2003 mercruiser 1.81 alpha one gen 2 putdrive. I broke the skeg off and would like to get it replaced. I have a chance to buy a 1999 alpha one gen 2 with a 2.1 gear ratio. Is it possible just to change out the lower part of the drive without any problems or will it not work? I read that it was just the upper part of the drive that has to be the same. Any input would be appreciated.

"While you are at it, you shou

"While you are at it, you should consider a new water pump impeller kit. I usually figure new impeller anytime the drive is off or apart for any reason, or every five years or 250 hours otherwise.

You should then be able to put the upper 2.1 gearcase on ebay and recoup some money out of it. You would also likely be able to sell the broken lower on ebay.

What are you figuring to pay for the 2.1 drive?

Rod"

Yeah i was planning on changin

Yeah i was planning on changing out the water impeller. Even though i only have around 40 hours on my 2003 engine.

I actually was planning on selling the upper on ebay. Didn't realize i could sell the lower with a broken skeg. But one man's junk is another mans treasure.

I am buying the drive with the 2.1 gear ratio for $200 bucks. Sound like a good deal?

I had both of my skegs welded

I had both of my skegs welded back on and no one would know. Its been three years and 200 hours and still no problem. It cost me $300.00 and included painting. Hell of a lot cheaper than new/used lower units!

I remember seeing a bolt on pa

I remember seeing a bolt on part that covers broken skegs in stainless steel at my local boat dealer. this too is an option if there is anything to attatch it to. $75.00?

Yeah nothing wrong with it. He

Yeah nothing wrong with it. He is even giving me a warranty. I will take a picture of mine and see if it is worth welding.

"I'd still go ahead with t

"I'd still go ahead with the 2.1 for that price.
Then as Guy said you could get your old lower repaired and use it as a spare.

I have learned over the years that a spare drive leg is not a bad thing to have on hand. This avoids major family disappointment if the drive decides to die in the middle of holidays when everyone is keen on tubing, wake boarding, etc.

I am just building one up for mine using a new Merc upper unit and a new SEI lower unit. I will put it on the boat when next I am at the lake, then keep the current drive (which is working fine) as a spare.

Rod

Rod"

Well i picked up the unit toni

Well i picked up the unit tonight. So everyone is in agreement that i can use the lower half off the 2.1 and put it on the 1.81 upper half and it should work? They are both alpha one gen II drives.

Most definitely.
For help on

Most definitely.
For help on changing the parts over you can go to SEI's site. They have a simple and well illustrated section on assembling SEI 116 drive upper and lower parts. It will help you a lot.

Rod

"Brent, to get a skeg welded o

"Brent, to get a skeg welded on, what type of shop would you bring it to, as I need to do that as well.....

Does the Lower unit need to be dismantled.

Thanks"

Your local weld shop should be

Your local weld shop should be able to do it. mine were done with all connected. I guess its up to the shop and how much space they have for parking a boat/trailer.

SEI=Sterndrive Engineering Inc

SEI=Sterndrive Engineering Inc.
They are a manufacturer of aftermarket direct replacement sterndrives. Much cheaper than Merc and they seem to stand up well.

Rod

"capt, i have 5 units installe

"capt, i have 5 units installed on customer boats and they cant tell the difference except in the checkbook."

"Capt, looking at my earlier p

"Capt, looking at my earlier post ,there are 4 gear ratio`s for the lower units of GEN II`s.
Try rotating the drive shaft counting the number of turns for the prop shaft to go 1 rev.That`s your ratio and compare them."

Back