Logo

Alpha 1 drive noise

"Thanks for all your advice gu

"Thanks for all your advice guys, this is a great forum. I have only had my new (2nd hand) boat out 4 times so I am still getting to know it. I have no problems with the engine side of things as I am a car mechanic, but I have had no experience with the outdrive. My question is regarding a noise in the outdrive. When the engine is reving over 2000 RPM there is a high pitch whining noise from the outdrive, it is not overly obtrusive, sounds kind of like the noise a supercharger on a car motor makes (quite a pleasant noise actually) It makes the noise if it is nuetral or drive, the noise doesn't alter if the steering is straight ahead or turning and there is no grinding or knocking noises. The receipts I got with the boat say the gimbal bearing and all the bellows were replaced 3 years ago. It is an Alpha 1 gen 1 outdrive. Is it normal for the outdrive to make this noise or is it something that needs attention, I just want to make sure it is ok.
John"

"Audible whining is not usual

"Audible whining is not usual to my knowledge (unless of course your wife or girlfriend is on board! But we digress...)

Are you sure it is coming from the drive?
You should get back there with someone else at the helm and see if you can localize the noise more closely. If it has power steering, it could be the steering pump. Or the alternator, or water circ pump bearings.

If its definitely the drive, it might be gears. How is the drive oil level?
You may want to take your local boat dealer mechanic for a ride and let him hear it.

Rod"

"The noise is definately comin

"The noise is definately coming from the drive area (I can even hear it over the top of the wife's whining) I'll get a stethascope next time I have it running and see if I can localize the exact area, if that fails I'll take your advice and get it up to the marine mechanic to listen to.
John"

"John;
If its definitely the

"John;
If its definitely the drive you might be well advised to have it checked out ASAP. That noise can't be good, and if the upper gears and or bearings are trashing, the metal bits will get into the lower gearcase and trash those gears and bearings too. The input shaft bearings may have the wrong preload, which again will lead to short life and major grief.

What I am saying is the longer you run it with gears or bearings that are wearing out the more expensive it will be to fix. (Then the wife will really be whining!)

Rod"

"Just took the top cover off t

"Just took the top cover off the upper gear housing, the outer bearing race of the top bearing is pitted and worn so I figure this is where the whine is coming from, likely the lower bearing will be in the same condition. Looks like I'm going to have to fit new bearings to the upper gearbox."

"That is quite inexpensive if

"That is quite inexpensive if that is all it is. Make sure you check the input shaft bearings as well, and replace if in doubt at all. Set the preload correctly.

Have a close look at the upper gear set for any sign of pitting or checking in the wear areas.

Sounds like you may have dodged a much more expensive touch by getting after it now.

Rod"

Rod et al:

I wonder if wate

Rod et al:

I wonder if water intrusion caused the pitting of the races?

"Likely condensation pitting o

"Likely condensation pitting or perhaps lack of oil may have started it all, but who knows?

Rod"

"That's the problem with b

"That's the problem with buying anything second hand I suppose especially when you don't know the history. I did hear the noise when I tested the boat before I bought it but not having had a stern drive before wasn't sure whether it was a normal noise, it didn't sound nasty. Oh well I got it for a good price so it's not the end of the world. I'm just going to have to learn how to overhaul an Alpha outdrive!!"

Good luck on the project.
You

Good luck on the project.
You should likely get yourself a decent manual if you are going to take a run at it yourself.
There is some important stuff that you will want to know about.

Rod

"Thanks for the advice Rod, ye

"Thanks for the advice Rod, yep I've got a good manual, wouldn't attempt the job without one, even though I'm a mechanic I've never touched a sterdrive unit before."

"John,
To me you are a VER

"John,
To me you are a VERY good mechanic.A mechanic by trade,manual in hand and not afraid to ask questions to those that have seen these parts before to make sure things are correct.Hang close to Guy and Rod's advice and you will do just fine...Todd"

Back