Logo

110 mercury and outdrive

crabmanlan

"I just picked up a nice 21&#3

"I just picked up a nice 21' Starcraft. The original engine and out drive was designated Mercury 110. The engine is trash, the outdrive is still on the boat. Questions?
1. Will the engine designated 120 match up to the outdrive?
2. If the existing outdrive needs repairs are parts still available to my repairman?
3. If I pick up a 120 and outdrive is the transome hole going to be acceptable or is there a big difference?
4. Any suggestions as to a better replacement package for this boat?

Lanny"

"Is this like a 1960's boa

"Is this like a 1960's boat and drive?
It looks like it should be the model 1 drive with a 1.68 ratio.

You could hang a 120, 140, 150, even a 160 engine on that drive just fine. The drive and mounts are all the same, and all use the same ratio.
It would be a function of available space in your doghouse, and finding a decent engine.

There may be some differences in driveshaft length; maybe someone else on the forum can chime in and provide more details on that aspect.
I believe most parts are still available for that drive.

You may want to search out a trashed boat with a decent engine and drive package from about 1983 or later, and swap the whole package. That would at least get you into an Alpha One drive, alternator, breakerless ignition, and a package you could reasonably expect to still get parts for. And it would not be costly if you find the right boat.

This is just my opinion, but if I was heading out into open water I think I would want something newer than 40+ years providing the power.

Rod"

"Hey Lanny;

My apologies if

"Hey Lanny;

My apologies if I sounded somewhat flippant or smug in my first post.

I respect that your boat is your baby, and I and the others on this forum will all try to help you in whatever way we can with your project.

Just ask away.

Rod"

Back