Logo

Transom Leak on 1998 WellCraft 1860 SS

jay_t

"I have an Alpha One Stern Dri

"I have an Alpha One Stern Drive 5.7L Mercruiser that has developed a transom leak. Last weekend I took the hose annd sprayed the bellows and the area around the transom plate. The bellows did not leak but when spraying the lower part of the plate water started coming out the plug. I then raised the bow and filled the bilge with the plug in and got a leak out of the outside of the transom plate. The upper part of the plate is not leaking, just where the bottom two bolts bolt it on. I do not think the transom is rotten. We beach the boat so the drive sometimes drags. It looks like it might be 1/8" off because I can see some "black" on the right side. Could it have pulled away and can I tighten it back up from the inside. Is there a liquid gasket that can be used? Thanks for your help."

"Most likely the 2 bottom &#34

"Most likely the 2 bottom "Annode Bolts" corroded away. you will need to pull the drive, motor, inner and outer housings to repair it properly or risk breaking the inner plate and having to do the above anyway"

how can I confirm this is the

how can I confirm this is the issue? I would like to know prior to yankiing the engine. possible to just pull the sterndrive?

Back