Logo

b76 888 stern drive with loose steering tighten or replace

terryfix

"Gentlemen: you have been an i

"Gentlemen: you have been an inspiration and I've learned many things from you all. You think that I would have learned to get into a safer and cheaper sport, like drag bikes, bit I am hopelessly addicted to boats. One of them is a 1976 Sea Ray 220 with an 888 stern drive. The whole unit can wobble left/right, out of the water, and I can see the steering lever is loose at the pivot. Can this be tightened (easy)or do I need to replace the steering lever and bushing (PITA)? Will Type 1 parts fit?"

"Ayuh,.....

The Odds are Sl

"Ayuh,.....

The Odds are Slim to None that it'll Tighten Up.....
And,....
It's Old enough it's probably the old Splined shaft, which is Updated to the Square shaft....
Unfortunately,... Both the Drive,+ the Motor need to be Pulled to Fix it...."

Terry;
I am sure that there a

Terry;
I am sure that there are more expensive "addictions" than boating; I just can't seem to think of any right now......!

Rod

"Guy;
Yes, that's one for

"Guy;
Yes, that's one for sure.
That's why its a good thing to not have too many, otherwise you could go nuts! Life is too short.

Rod"

"Rod your right about having t

"Rod your right about having too many boats, otherwise you start balking tackwards. Life is too short, I better get started. On the boat that is.

Guy, everybody knows that girls just swoon over a guy whose under the deck more than above and has that manly odor of polyester resin and motor oil.

Bondo, you've spoken the inescapable truth, again! Thanks to all."

Back