Logo

Gimbal Bearing

yeoman100

I have just bought my first bo

I have just bought my first boat. 1991 SeaRay 170 with a 3.0 Mercruiser. I have put it through a dealer inspection and they have told me that the Gimbal bearing needs replacing. I do most of the mechanical stuff on my cars (electric and computers scare me). Where do I start to replace the bearing or do bite the bullet and pay to have it done util I play with the boat for a while?

Its easy enough to do if all g

Its easy enough to do if all goes well.
You will need to remove the drive then use a slide hammer to pull the bearing.

Suggest you purchase a good service manual before you launch into this.

Rod

"You'll need a manual and

"You'll need a manual and engine alignment tool to set bearing and engine alignment. OD has to come off. 1991 boat; may never have had bellows replaced. Inspect them for cracks, dryrot, etc. If needed replace all three and water inlet hose. Service U-Joints. Some also rec. replacing shift cable."

"Being a 1991 that should be t

"Being a 1991 that should be the first year of the Gen II ALpha. You should confirm this. Does the trailing edge of the skeg go straight down from the lower gearcase, or does it angle down and back? If angled, it is a Gen II.

You could get a Clymer manual or a Seloc. They are readily available, general to many models and OK, but not the best. Seloc is available on this site, or online via subscription.

You may be better off the get the Merc manual #14 for the Alpha Gen II drive. Someone on this site may be able to send you the .pdf version.

Rod"

There is a skeg guard fitted s

There is a skeg guard fitted so I cant see the sweep of the skeg. But the decal says it is an Alpha One. Possibly built in 90 and registerted 91? Can Anyone help with a pdf. manual?

Thank you for your help!!

"They are all called Alpha One

"They are all called Alpha One unfortunately.
Is the upper case cap square or rectangular. If rectangular it is a Gen II. If square, Gen I.
If the aft end of the anti-ventilation plate is squareish cornered; its a Gen II; if well rounded its a Gen I.
If it has a speed pitot hole in the front edge just above the lower gear case its likely a Gen II.
If the upper and lower cases are held together by stainless bolts and nuts (two per side); its a Gen II. If nuts only its a Gen I.

Rod"

Back