Logo

Need advice on fuel pump

M

migot07

"Have a new fuel pump coming f

"Have a new fuel pump coming for a '94 mercruiser 3.0 liter GM 4 cyl. 1)I have picked up Permatex non-hardening #2 Form-A-Gasket Sealant for the pump gasket. Says on package "use for gaskets, etc." + "resists gasoline, oil, etc." Will this be okay?
2)I looked all over today for #592 Locktite pipe sealant with teflon. No luck. Can I just use regular pipe sealant with teflon (Pipe dope) that you find in the plumbing dept. of Lowes or Home Depot?
3)I will have various size plastic containers ready when I pop that 3/8" rubber fuel hose off the inlet of the pump. I have a new 3' lenght of fuel line hose coming. I figure I can disconnect it at the fuel pump end and dump as much gas as I can out of fuel hose into the plastic containers. Then, I can disconnect the end at the elbow by the tank. Put on new length of hose with new clamps. Does this sound correct? Or will the fuel hose keep siphoning on me out of the 1/2 tank of gas? That 3 foot section of fuel hose is old and really want to replace it. Any advice appreciated."

"1. I use #2 Permatex a lot.

"1. I use #2 Permatex a lot. It is great for gaskets that have contact with oil, gasoline, or even coolant. If it was my boat I guarantee that it would be used on fuel pump gasket.

2. Locktite? Do not know what you plan to use it for.. The actual metal fuel connections at the pump should need no sealant. I would not use pipe dope for anything in the fuel system.

3. When you disconnect the fuel hose from the pump, lift it up and it will drain back to tank with minimal spillage assuming tank is below floorboards. Some fuel may drain from pump body and vertical line to carb, but a rag or paper towel beneath will probably suffice to catch."

"If the pump doesn't want

"If the pump doesn't want to fit right, rotate the engine to get the pump rod off the cam lobe and push it back enough to fit the pump."

Thanks guys for all the advice

Thanks guys for all the advice. I still have a question about the pipe sealant on the fuel line and will start another post.

Back