Logo

Threading shift cable through transom plate

"Is there some sort of bushing

"Is there some sort of bushing or gasket on the transom plate where the shift cable passes through? I had a hard time removing the old cable. I know about the spiral insulator on the cable and removed that before I pulled the cable through, but the barrel on the end still got stuck. Since I was replacing the bell housing anyway (bad corrosion) I was able to knock the cable back through and pull it out of the engine compartment. There seems to be some sort of rubber material inside the hole where the shift cable passes through. I could probably pull it out with a pair of needle nose pliers, but I don't want to if it's supposed to be there.

I can't see any reason for a gasket to be there since the whole assemble is covered by the shift cable boot. I suspect it's a left over insulator from a botched shift cable replacement by a previous owner. I can't find a drawing of the actual transom plate that has a gasket in this hole.

Thanks for any advice."

What drive model?
There have

What drive model?
There have been some changes over the years to how the cable mounts in the transom plate.

Rod

"As you suggested, it is likel

"As you suggested, it is likely trash from previous repair work, as there is no seal except the bellows on this unit. It comes out kind of rough unless you lay the cable straight in floor of boat before pulling back thru the transom."

"Also your not supposed to lea

"Also your not supposed to leave the barrel and guide attached,they unscrew from the cable end inside the boat"

"I misspoke. It wasn't the

"I misspoke. It wasn't the barrel, just the nut that's pressed onto the end of the outer cable. Anyway, I pulled it out. It was an insulator left over from a previous attempt."

"Are you referring to part #30

"Are you referring to part #30 - INSERT, NYLON - SHIFT CABLE? I've always wondered what that part was for. I have about six of them laying around and never could figure out where it went. Obviously, it was already in place on the other cables that I have changed out. The piece that I took out today was not that part. It was definitely part #29 - WRAPPING, Spiral, SHIFT CABLE. I didn't see the insert anywhere."

"You can see it with the cable

"You can see it with the cable bellows off,but it pushes in from the other side(inside the boat). the spiral wrap is to insulate the cable from the heat of an overheated y-pipe. sometimes they help but usualy when the exhaust gets hot enough to burn the rubber inside the boat the shift cable also gets melted.
hope this helps some"

"Thanks, I'll try to put a

"Thanks, I'll try to put a new insert in. I always loosely tie-wrap the shift cable to cable or screw on the transom and keep it pulled away from the exhaust. I do put the spiral protector on the cable just in case the tie-wrap comes loose, but I'm not comfortable with anything touching the exhaust. I've seen three burnt cables in the last six months."

Fabricate a heat shield for th

Fabricate a heat shield for the exhaust or wrap it with heat reflective insulation.

Back