Logo

Leak in bilge

rbarrow

water into bilge at rear of en

water into bilge at rear of engine. mechanic says swivel pin may be leaking. what is swivel pin and how to fix?

"Could be swivel pin, bellows,

"Could be swivel pin, bellows, water hose, various wire and/or cable seals, etc. that all run thru the transom assembly. It can be very difficult to pin down a slow leak.
How bad is it?
If the drive is many years old the seals all get hard and cracked and leaks can start.

Rod"

"Most likely because you dont

"Most likely because you dont have a grease fitting for the swivel pin anymore, It can be installed very easily."

"mercruiser bravo 3. 2001 sear

"mercruiser bravo 3. 2001 searay. starbd. engine rebuilt complete by searay dealer 2006. outdrive also rebuilt. leak began 2007. runs bilge pump at 5-6 hour interval. mechanic says engine must be removed to fix. no sympathy from dealer. they get $85. per hour plus hauling, launching plus parts. will leak cause any problems other than bilge water. engine performs great. no overheating."

"A little water leaking into t

"A little water leaking into the bilge wont hurt anything as long as it does not get too deep, and the battery is always there to run the bilge pump when needed. Otherwise bye bye boat.

Mine leaks about an inch or two of water overnight and takes about 30 seconds to pump out in the morning. No big deal.

It is very rare to see a boat bilge that is absolutely dry, in fact I have not owned or seen one that is dry. You will have to be the judge as to whether this is a risk you can manage or not.

Rod"

Well I would definitely do an

Well I would definitely do an inspection beyond what the mechanic said. Double check the shift cable bellows and the seal around the anode plate as these constantly stay wet when boat is setting at dock. Your personal inspection costs nothing but a little time.

Back